Sign in to follow this  

College research paper due help and opinions needed on ohv land use!!!!!

Ive been on this forum for a few years now and currently i am attending illinois state university majoring in business administration. Unfortunately out of the many groups ive emailed my interview questions to, i have only gotten one response from Tread Lightly! Below is what i sent to the illinois DNR as well as my research questions with no response. Could you guys please answer some of these questions and provide some insight? Thanks

Hello, i am inquiring about off highway vehicle use on government owned land and trail systems. I am writing a research paper for my english class. I go to Illinois State University and i have been riding OHV's my entire life. My paper is about OHV use on public lands and how they have been diminishing over the past decade across the country. I have a few interview questions i would appreciate if you or someone you know with the illinois DNR could help me with on this topic. I understand not all of the questions will apply to everyone. Here are the interview questions and ANY additional thoughts/knowledge on this topic is greatly appreciated as i am still learning and would like to know more. Thank you for your time.

-Luca Hansen

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

1. How long have you been riding OHV?s and what type of OHV?s do you

ride?

2. How have you been involved in the OHV community?

3. What is your experience with the OHV community?

4. What problems exist with OHV land use restrictions and how do you

think they should be solved?

5. How often do you access public lands with an off highway vehicle?

6. Do you enter them illegally? If so how often?

7. If you enter them legally, do you stay on the designated trails? Always.

8. If you do not ride OHV's on public lands, what is your overall view

of people that go on these trails and how responsible do you think

they are?

9. Are you for or against shutting down public lands used by OHV?s,

horse riders, mountain bikers etc. for aesthetic and other purposes?

10. Do you think these things cause damage to the environment, if so how

much?

11. What do you think can be done to reduce the damages done (if any)?

12. Do you think that riding OHV's improves your physical and

intellectual health? If so how?

13. Do you think trail systems are properly labeled and easy to

follow? If not how so?

14. Finally, if you ride OHV?s are you respectful and responsible on

the trails you ride?

I hope that someone helps you out!!!!!! We need all the help we can get in every country etc. But Im in Canada and cant really comment on your OHV system etc. Good luck though!

This is a college paper? What exactly is your thesis? From what I gather from your post..."My paper is about OHV use on public lands and how they have been diminishing over the past decade across the country."

I'm sorta seeing this as a survey, more so than an interview. How many people do you think you need to survey to get a good statistical result? I would assume you would want to interview somebody that has long dealt with the land use policy...say Super Hunky (Rick Siemens) or the Phantom Duck of the Desert(Louis McKey).

Just a thought

Based on your age, I am assuming you are a freshman so this is probably a 100 level writing class? If so, I would suggest narrowing the scope of the research paper. To do a decent job with a paper with such a large scope will take way more pages than you probably need. Determine the scope first. I know you didn't ask for advice on how to write a paper, but as someone who hated writing in college but got really good at BS'ing my way through it I couldn't help myself. If you asked just one question of the people you are trying to contact you may get a better chance of getting a response.

I was planning on only sending these questions to a few select individuals from the blue ribbon coalition, tread lightly!, and the DNR in some states, I was just wanting to get Some TTr's to answer a few of these questions and in general what the best thing we can do to keep our riding areas open and/or any specific points i may have missed and what to touch on in my paper. Correct me if im wrong but from what i gather, most of these groups believe education is the key and educating riders on riding responsibly (i.e. staying on designated trails and not littering) will keep lands open. Thanks i will also be posting this on an environmentalist website to get both arguments. Ill post the results here just to have a good laugh. But i cannot be entirely biased in my paper so i will have to include their thoughts. Thanks for the input again!

Willwater yes you are correct it is a 100 level english class and i am a freshman. That doesnt sound like a bad idea at all did you have anything in mind in the form of one question? Doesnt have to perfect just more of an "along the lines of " idea if you get what i mean.

Ive been on this forum for a few years now and currently i am attending illinois state university majoring in business administration. Unfortunately out of the many groups ive emailed my interview questions to, i have only gotten one response from Tread Lightly! Below is what i sent to the illinois DNR as well as my research questions with no response. Could you guys please answer some of these questions and provide some insight? Thanks

Hello, i am inquiring about off highway vehicle use on government owned land and trail systems. I am writing a research paper for my english class. I go to Illinois State University and i have been riding OHV's my entire life. My paper is about OHV use on public lands and how they have been diminishing over the past decade across the country. I have a few interview questions i would appreciate if you or someone you know with the illinois DNR could help me with on this topic. I understand not all of the questions will apply to everyone. Here are the interview questions and ANY additional thoughts/knowledge on this topic is greatly appreciated as i am still learning and would like to know more. Thank you for your time.

-Luca Hansen

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

ride? Dirt Bikes & Jeeps predominantly, but anything with a motor.

2. How have you been involved in the OHV community? Clubs, Volunteers, Races, benefit events, cleanup activities, trail building

3. What is your experience with the OHV community? Good American folk

4. What problems exist with OHV land use restrictions and how do you think they should be solved? Reasonable, scientific methods should be used to derive policy...not kneejerk, political, broad sweep policy

5. How often do you access public lands with an off highway vehicle? weekly

6. Do you enter them illegally? If so how often? Not on purpose

7. If you enter them legally, do you stay on the designated trails? Always. Yes

of people that go on these trails and how responsible do you think they are?

horse riders, mountain bikers etc. for aesthetic and other purposes? Against

10. Do you think these things cause damage to the environment, if so how much? No

I don't believe you can damage the land by rolling over it. If all of the OHV money we contribute was used for maintenance as it was intended to, we would have perfect trails for everyone to use

12. Do you think that riding OHV's improves your physical and intellectual health? If so how? Yes. It's an extremely physical activity utilizing all the muscles(the mind is a muscle) in the body to balance a heavy object as it traverses offroad terrain.

13. Do you think trail systems are properly labeled and easy to follow? If not how so? Some of them are, some of them not. Both offer a unique experience in the outdoors. No need to change that.

14. Finally, if you ride OHV?s are you respectful and responsible on the trails you ride?Yes, rarely in 35+yrs have I had a problem

Best I could do in short order. Good Luck!

Haha, just BS it, its a 100 level course! wait until you're in English 492...:lol:

I'm not sure how my opinion matters, but hopefully this helps in some way.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

1. How long have you been riding OHV?s and what type of OHV?s do you ride?

About four years, strictly motorcycles unless feet count as a vehicle.

2. How have you been involved in the OHV community?

Same.

3. What is your experience with the OHV community?

People are friendly and helpful when asked.

4. What problems exist with OHV land use restrictions and how do you think they should be solved?

In PA, they're oriented almost exclusively to four-wheelers and snow mobiles. We don't ride in state much if at all. I'd suggest opening all 4-wheeler or snow mobile trails to off-road motorcycles.

I would also suggest opening "fire roads" through out state parks to non-plated motorcycles. These roads see little use and become over grown, then the roads are opened during hunting season. By opening these dirt paths to OHV traffic year round, it would cut down on maintenance required by park officials the weeks prior to hunting season.

5. How often do you access public lands with an off highway vehicle?

In PA? Twice a year at most. Outside of PA, any chance I get.

6. Do you enter them illegally? If so how often?

No, but I have been tempted.

7. If you enter them legally, do you stay on the designated trails? Always.

Of course. Again, the temptation is there, but there is plenty else to explore that is permitted.

8. If you do not ride OHV's on public lands, what is your overall viewof people that go on these trails and how responsible do you think they are?

N/A

9. Are you for or against shutting down public lands used by OHV?s,horse riders, mountain bikers etc. for aesthetic and other purposes?

Against, however, I do understand that occasionally these need to be closed due to various environmental concerns. It's reasonable to think that closing a system for 10 years would "return to nature" the former path, and it is reasonable to open another path in the same area. By rotating paths, it allows a sustainable and usable area, much like rotating crops in a field.

10. Do you think these things cause damage to the environment, if so how much? No more so than a horseback rider or camper, it's simply more concentrated to the trails, where as a camper usually moves about throughout his life time.

As stated earlier, rotating trails as well as opening more areas that were formerly closed. Currently, users are concentrated and like any path, the more use it sees, the more "damage" occurs.

intellectual health? If so how?

It's fun, since it's fun, it keeps me from killing people who so sorely deserve it.

follow? If not how so?

They're confusing since they're often marked with blazes which are easily missed.

the trails you ride?

Absolutely.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

ride? I have been riding 250f dirt bikes for 8 years almost exclusively on national forest OHV trails.

2. How have you been involved in the OHV community? Thumpertalk, and I plan to join the local riding association in January and help them organize the annual enduro

3. What is your experience with the OHV community? not sure what you mean by this, but I have not me a single rude or reckless dirt biker (I have met several not so nice and reckless 4-wheelin folks...I don't mean to step on any toes with this comment and I am not stereotyping all 4-wheelers, but it has been my experience) at the facilities I ride. People are more than willing to lend a hand when needed.

4. What problems exist with OHV land use restrictions and how do you

think they should be solved? I think it’s more so a matter of improving our image to the public. Many eco people consider us to be crazy yahoos barreling through the woods making all kinds of noise and wrecking the environment…when in fact it’s not like this at all. Not to mention it’s great for giving families something to do on the weekends...something that maybe those eco folks should consider haha.

5. How often do you access public lands with an off highway vehicle? 1-4 times per month

6. Do you enter them illegally? If so how often? No. The only illegal riding I do is around my neighborhood to dry off my bike after I wash it. I think this is part of the problem that gives OHV users such a bad image in the eyes of the misinformed.

7. If you enter them legally, do you stay on the designated trails? Always. 99% of the time. If there is a massive mud hole in the trail or a downed tree, I go around it.

of people that go on these trails and how responsible do you think

they are? Not applicable

horse riders, mountain bikers etc. for aesthetic and other purposes? 100% against.

10. Do you think these things cause damage to the environment, if so how

much? No. Designating land for OHV use helps "contain any damage" to a centralized location. And I do not wish to enter a debate about global warming and whatnot, but I do not feel that the exhaust emitted out of these bikes is enough to impact anything at all, period. Granted, I think 4-strokes are cleaner that 2-strokes, but again, statistically, the impact is negligible.

11. What do you think can be done to reduce the damages done (if any)? Not applicable

intellectual health? If so how? Yes, riding a responsible method to clear your mind of any stress. Not to mention it will whip you into shape and it's a blast.

follow? If not how so? This is a case by case scenario. Some places I have been to are well marked, others not so much.

the trails you ride? Yes...by this I mean I dont do anything to intentionally harm the trails.

Here's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the responses so far!!! again if you guys think there are any other points i should touch on please speak up!!! the more opinions the better! I will also include a section in my paper about quieting exhaust noises.

Here's a place to do some research;

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=337&autologin=true&JServSessionIdr004=ta6okbyej1.app332a

Why don't you consider supporting them while you're there?

Thanks for the website!

Yes i googled his name when you mentioned it on the previous page and i found him on google and emailed him this morning. Thanks!

Good luck on your paper. Do a good job and represent the OHV community well. Your questions ramble on, the suggestion to narrow the scope is valid.

From a life long bike rider here are a few observations that may assist you with your paper. The greatest problems with OHV are public perception and noise. It’s difficult to get any positive publicity from the press or Hollywood in regards to OHV. And the folks who mod their bike to compete with the Harleys are just ruining the sport.

I ride OHV areas and public lands many times a year. A good interconnecting road and trail system is key to the success of any OHV area. Too many people I know have stopped riding OHV for the lack of interconnecting trails. NOT for lack of an area, but for lack of interconnecting roads and trails. An OHV area or public lands area may promote “350 miles of OHV trails,” but if the trails do not interconnect, then the area cannot be ridden. If trails interconnect then riders can loop around , stay on designated trails and not make their own connecting trails. Yes, I stay on the trail. And most of the OHV riders I have met over the years are courteous, nice, family oriented folks.

Many counties want OHV riders to be licensed and insured. Many Counties do not allow OHV on their roads for these reasons. Perhaps the OHV community could work out something with the DMV’s and insurance companies in these areas. Some type of OHV skills license from DMV and liability insurance would perhaps persuade Counties to allow OHV use on gravel or dirt roads?

It is advisable for OHV riders to volunteer in the area they ride for trail maintenance. Good old fashion labor.

Emphasis these points in your paper then get folks from the gov’t and press to read it. I’m not sure how to change public perception, but portraying motorcycles positively in movies, TV shows, and ads would be a good start!!

Haha, just BS it, its a 100 level course! wait until you're in English 492...:)

Nice! Hey you're studying Yeats.....good for you. My wife and I had a chance to visit his home a couple of years ago. Enjoy all that English 492 has to offer bro! Go Cougs!:lol:

This post, along with youngztr's post as well as everyone else have been very helpful to me, i posted this same post in the land use/legislation section here on TT and recieved the post below. This is exactly what i had been looking for and if anyone else on here would like to elaborate or start their own rants PLEASE DO!

4strokeridertt:

OHV use gets a bad rap. The people that fight us are more often than not just sheep following the few zealots that think they are saving the world. They often only see just the trailhead or illeagal rodeside area that is all torn up and abused.

Most of the actual quality trail is no worse for wear than hiking or equestrian trails. Well built trails are used by ohv, native animals, hunters, fisherman, scientific community, land managers and even the enviornmentally obsessed Sierra Club wanna be's.

OHV use creates jobs, allows for good family recreation and helps to create individuals that are self sufficient, Wow thats everything the current administration hasn't been able to do for the American public.

My family uses ohv's on puplic lands at least 4 days a month. We use legal lands and go by the rules. No different than going to a ski resort or a National Park. The closing of public lands is forcing Americans that recreate outdoors into less acerage and putting more of a burden on the lands available.

Quality management of our lands would yeild less wear and make it easier to follow the rules. Mislabeled trails and incorrect mapping is a huge problem. Different agencies have different mapping protocals. Forest service general maps don't match OHV map numbering or signage.

The land managers need to get out onto the lands and get in the dirt. Hour and a half flyovers in an air conditioned chopper with Diane Feinstien or Barbara Boxer do not make for sound land decisions, thats why the Mohave Desert is now the solar and wind powered scar of shit you see from highway. Hundreds of thousands of acres of green energy and you can't add a 36" wide trail without EIS and 20 years of fighting.

Sorry it turned into a rant. But i feel better now and I think I touched on all your questions.

Look into the debate over land being designated wilderness, and all that that implies, and how it should be labeled backcountry instead. I did a speech on this last year ill try to dig up my stuff. When is it due?

Look into the debate over land being designated wilderness, and all that that implies, and how it should be labeled backcountry instead. I did a speech on this last year ill try to dig up my stuff. When is it due?

The final draft is due on monday, i would greatly appreciate it if you could dig some of that stuff for me and i will look into this debate! Thank you