Sign in to follow this  

93kx250 to 02CR 250

hey guys

so im looking at getting a cr250 2002. now i have been very hesitant up to this point about getting one due to a friend telling me their motors are piles of garbage.. but looking around i see plenty of people riding them and even stumbled across a 02 in reasonably good shape for around 1800. i just would like to hear some feedback from actual CR owners on what they think of the bike in general and if any certain years had certain issues to watch out for.

have owned RM CR YZ KX 250s. The 02+ motors lack the hard hit of other motors since they have an electric power valve vice mechanical. However, lots of power. Tend to be more tractible due to this.

Must do fixes include:

- MX Bonz air box sealant

- Pro Circuit exhaust flange for 02-04

- Keihin PWK air striker carburetor (stock Mikuni TMX is difficult to jet cleanly)

Once these are fixed you have a great handling bike with very ample power.

have owned RM CR YZ KX 250s. The 02+ motors lack the hard hit of other motors since they have an electric power valve vice mechanical. However, lots of power. Tend to be more tractible due to this.

Must do fixes include:

- Keihin PWK air striker carburetor (stock Mikuni TMX is difficult to jet cleanly)

+1 Also the latest generation of honda two stroke motors weren't piles they just need a few adjustments and patients. The newer honda two stroke motors were a good base for somthing that had good potential had honda had put more R&D into the motors. But honda was always more concerned with four stroke technology.

what exactly does the PC Exhuast Flange do/fix? making my christmas goodie list and trying to knock out all of the must haves with my new 02.

Must do fixes include:

Many of the stock 02 -04 flanges had casting flaws causing them to crack. The pc flange is the fix. As is the boyesen flange, but the pc flange uses a better quality oring.

Always peek under lower edge of the shrouds where they cross over frame spars for rub wear, most cr.'s get this and some wear through if neglected. Still I haven't heard of any failures due to this. Shrub has it nailed. Bought mine new in 03 , never selling.

71dafonz: I love my 2002 CR250R. I have an FMF Fatty pipe/exhaust and a V-force reed set up. The thing is full of juice and really easy to flick into any spot you ant it to go. I have a 2008 KLX450 that I may never really ride again (except for in Baja). The CR is very reliable and a blast to ride, I feel 17 again.

I paid $1500 for mine and had to put in new fork seals, brake pads and a brake cable. This bike is solid and cheap to run.

One of my Brother's still rides a '93 KX250, I just rode it a few months ago. The '02+ CR2 will be a major upgrade in handling, braking and ergonomics. The motor on the '93 KX is plenty strong and as linear as the CR, and few bikes have as plush of suspensions as the '93 KX did. The '93 KX's steer like buses, excellent high speed stability, but you'll be amazed how good the CR carves corners, not as stable as the KX in the fast stuff, but provided sag and suspension are set-up properly, the high speed stability is quite good, especially for a bike with such responsive steering.

I also agree with Shrubs upgrade list, though I wouldn't expect any noticable gains from the aftermarket exhaust flange.

FYI:

This exhaust flange problem also occurred on the KTM as well. Reason being, as far as I can tell, is that the exhaust port on the head is made as a male fitting, and the pipe's open end has a female collar that goes over the exhaust port. So when the bike's dropped or the pipe hits something hard while riding, the impact takes out the exhaust flange and cracks it.

Reverse this, and this is no longer a problem. This is what KTM & the 2005-2007 CR250 wound up doing. The exhaust port on these updated bikes now have the exhaust port made as the female collar fitting, and the pipe is now male fitted, thus the pipe opening fits INSIDE the exhaust port. WHen the pipe is under impact, it is able to move and wiggle out of the exhaust port and no longer stresses the exhaust port.

right, flange is for reliability as the OEM will break if you look at it sternly.

Yes, the OEM part is a very thin wall cast iron peice with an o-ring groove cut in it to weaken it further. I broke one a while back, but I did hit the pipe hard enough to wrap it around the frame (a Gnarly pipe at that). My local Honda shop had a replacement OEM part in stock and I needed to ride, but the PC flange is a much more durable part.

thank you for all the input, and sorry it took so long to respond back i have been having computer issues. the bike i was looking at already sold but ill keep looking out for another one