Sign in to follow this  

How dirty is your air filter?

hey guys! so i bought this bike for $1200 and thought, hey... this filter looks just a lil bit dirty, what do you think??? NO WONDER the engine grenaded on him!

6f9514c8.jpg

heres the new one i got!77f8a6e9.jpg

If the outside of the filter is dirty then it is doing its job! I have had filters look way worse after dusty rides, performance drops off but is no cause for alarm. The real test is what it looks like on the inside, -has dirt got through the filter? This caused by not being cleaned and freshly oiled regularly (every ride) the other problem being a poor seal between the airbox and the filter, allowing dust to get passed the filter waht does the tube to the carb look like?- I like to use grease in the filter rim to help seal, some people say it is no longer necessary with modern day airbox manufacture but old habits die hard.

Lately have been using filter skins that can be pulled off the filter during the ride or pitstop, allows bike t get good airflow without disturbing the seal and cuts down on filters you have to wash at the end of the day/wekend.

Certainly looks like it has been on a while. The problem then is there is so much dirt build up, it is eventually drawn through the filter. Also, the filter oil loses its ability to catch the dirt as it passes.

BTW....there is nothing wrong with a well maintained stock filter.

Certainly looks like it has been on a while. The problem then is there is so much dirt build up, it is eventually drawn through the filter. Also, the filter oil loses its ability to catch the dirt as it passes.

BTW....there is nothing wrong with a well maintained stock filter.

I agree.

The filter has been dirty for a while.

With my bikes, that is a no-no because the filters typically get serviced after each ride off-road.