Sign in to follow this  

yz 125 paint job

Hey guys my frame is really worn and the paint is scuffed by the pegs, does anyone know were I can get it repainted or how?

thanks

Powder coating is somewhat more durable than the OEM paint and the PJ1... but it will cost between $100 to $300 at most places.

I've used PJ1 paint on some bikes in the past. It's good stuff and works well if you prep the frame. Media-blasting is the best prep, it removes the old paint and roughs up the metal. The rough surface allows the paint (or primer) to stick well.

You can just wash off the dirt/oil/grease and sand down the rough places, then use a Scotch-Brite pad to scuff up the old paint so the new paint can adhere to the surface, that works ok too.

Powder coating is somewhat more durable than the OEM paint and the PJ1... but it will cost between $100 to $300 at most places.

I've used PJ1 paint on some bikes in the past. It's good stuff and works well if you prep the frame. Media-blasting is the best prep, it removes the old paint and roughs up the metal. The rough surface allows the paint (or primer) to stick well.

You can just wash off the dirt/oil/grease and sand down the rough places, then use a Scotch-Brite pad to scuff up the old paint so the new paint can adhere to the surface, that works ok too.

I've had PJ1 and a powdercoated frame.

The previous owner painted the frame with PJ1, so I'm not sure of his prep. But that crap bubbled off if it got any gas or carb cleaner near it.

Now I've had my frame powdercoated for about a year and it's holding up great!!