Sign in to follow this  

Washington how to add a headlight?

I would like to add a headlight to at least one my old dirt bikes.I would like to add one to my old 1990 KTM 250 dxc. What are my options? A stator rewind? Are there other options? I haven't found much info on the bike, other than it's finest redeeming quality, is the OEM center stand. I would appreciate any info, on this matter.

I know nothing about that bike, but you need to research it and find out what the stock stator puts out. I'm assuming minimum, so you have a couple choices. Find a better stator that will fit, or call Ricky Stator, and/or Trail Tech and see if they are worth rewinding. Some are, some are not. Ya might find a place on your bike to strap a battery to...one of the new batts don't weigh much, and could be setup to drive a bank of LED's...Call Daryll at Cyclops Motorsports if ya want a good solid rundown of the options :lol:

Thanks Slakkinhard:thumbsup:

I'm no authority on the early KTM's however I do know that most of the early exc's had decent AC power for a headlight. SEM ignition around 100 watts.

You should be able to run most any aftermarket halogen headlight.

I would suggest doing a test by attempting to light up a 55 watt bulb like an

H4.. Look for a reg under the tank or you may blow the bulb.. Sorry I do not know the exact specs of your bike..

Trailtech battery operated LED light is great for trail work, burns a LONG time and will work on any bike. Helmet mounted is best IMHO. Simple, take it on any bike.

Trailtech battery operated LED light is great for trail work, burns a LONG time and will work on any bike. Helmet mounted is best IMHO. Simple, take it on any bike.

I'm hoping I'll be able to add a headlight, but I've had really good luck with LED lights(batter powered). Maybe some of my mountain bike stuff will come in handy, after all. I guess I still need to do some research...Thank you, all!

I believe the SEM will run a headlight but you need a regulator and wire harness. If the stator has a large external flywheel it has a lighting coil.

I'm hoping I'll be able to add a headlight, but I've had really good luck with LED lights(batter powered). Maybe some of my mountain bike stuff will come in handy, after all. I guess I still need to do some research...Thank you, all!

I like having both a bike powered light and battery powered light...something about redundancy and not getting stranded in BFE.

Second cyclops. Darryl goes out of his way to help you out. Never have good luck with Trailtech.

The SEM produces a great amount of power. The issue with the SEM is reliability but as long as it is working great;) the illustrated parts breakdown drawing on the web do not go that far back so I have no idea what stator is in that bike. Here is a pic of the SEM

sem.JPG

I recently did some testing with a triple extreme running off dual lithium ion batteries and got two good hours of light. The 8 inch HIM will go longer with less draw. So far LED is not impressing me for high speed riding but works fine for trail riding.

This LED headlight fab’d into a Trailtech housing worked well at the 24 hour but the cost is too much to be practical.

led.jpg

I would not spend a dime on a 1999- anything. 2000+ model bikes can be had on the cheap and will take the larger 2k3 stator assembly.

Joe……….

In the last 24hrs I've learned that, my bike's stator will support lights. I pulled off the gas tank, and found the wires, and mounting tab where the regulator/rectifier used to be. I ordered one for $40. If it had cost more than $50, I'd have skipped it. I have good helmet lights. I just thought it would be nice to have a headlight(just in case). Thanks for everyones' input. I do appreciate it.

The SEM produces a great amount of power. The issue with the SEM is reliability but as long as it is working great;) the illustrated parts breakdown drawing on the web do not go that far back so I have no idea what stator is in that bike. Here is a pic of the SEM

sem.JPG

I recently did some testing with a triple extreme running off dual lithium ion batteries and got two good hours of light. The 8 inch HIM will go longer with less draw. So far LED is not impressing me for high speed riding but works fine for trail riding.

This LED headlight fab’d into a Trailtech housing worked well at the 24 hour but the cost is too much to be practical.

led.jpg

I would not spend a dime on a 1999- anything. 2000+ model bikes can be had on the cheap and will take the larger 2k3 stator assembly.

Joe……….

I gotta ask...what's with the Iphone taped to the fender? :-)

The Cyclops LED is a great plan 'B' lighting solution.

900 Lumens puts it between low beam and high beam of a car.

I would recommend helmet mount over handlbar mount for trail riding though.

If you also ride bicycle it's great for that too.

A great light, with many uses. you'll love it.

The Cyclops LED is a great plan 'B' lighting solution.

900 Lumens puts it between low beam and high beam of a car.

I would recommend helmet mount over handlbar mount for trail riding though.

If you also ride bicycle it's great for that too.

A great light, with many uses. you'll love it.

Thanks, I love options. I have helmet light(s) now, but some of the stuff that's available, blow mine outta the water. Mine are really only good for putting back to the truck, in a pinch.