Sign in to follow this  

what went wrong?

i have a 2001 honda cr-500 and the other day i was riding it and i shut it off and when i went back to start it about 5 minutes later it wouldnt start back. but when i shut it off it was running perfect what could be wrong with it?

If the bike started to die caught itself then did that again until it finally died i would suspect fouled plug. Or did the bike just cut out and not start but eventually would start after it has sat and cooled down for a bit? Because then if thats the case your looking at a problem with either your stator or your CDI box. I also agree that the kill switch could be the culprit as well.

it died and i have tried pulling it off and kickstarting it and i still cant get it to do anything

Whats the plug look like? Only other thing i can think of is trade me bikes and you won't have to worry about it anymore :lol:

its possible that you have a broken reed as well. once you eliminate all the usual stuff, i would look at the reeds. had it happen before. bike ran great all day, then nothing. turned out that half a petal was snapped off. i kicked for a good hour, swapped plugs, and tried swapping CDI's with a buddy...

Process of elimination.. start with the easy usual suspects 1st.. 3 things for a bike to run.. spark, fuel, air

1. change plug

2.spark test.. take plug out with cap installed and rest on cylinder and kick over. If you get no spark, replace ur ignition coil and or cap.

3. check and replace kill switch if need

4. a leak from ur fuel petcock

5. pinched fuel breather hose

6. clogged jets, float level off

7. check air filter

8. check reeds

9. and have a beer when fixed

Had this problem way back when I was riding 500s. Not to say it is the problem. But mine did the same thing. It was a CDI box. I traded with my buddy, after we tried the kill switch and check all connections.

If you have a friend with the same bike, go the the process of elimination. Good luck.