Sign in to follow this  

Broken Clavicle- Surgery or not?

Hi Dr Mark,

I would appreciate it if you could look at my xray and give me your opinion on wether I should have surgery or not.

I'm a 28 y.o male, otherwise fit and healthy and had a heavy over the bars fall on my MTB. The doctors here in Australia have given me the choice as to what I want to do regarding my shoulder. They estimate a 20% chance of further shoulder issues if they operate and seem slightly reluctant to make a call one way or the other.

I'm a keen amatuer MX'er and I'd be happy if it will heal on its own to a point where I can ride/race again. I don't really care about asthetics...

IMG_0570.jpg

Thankyou for your time :lol:

I would vote for the plate any day of the week!

I had mine plated years ago (plate still in today) and it was the best and fastest healing injury I ever had! I was racing full speed in 4 weeks after the plate was put in!

Let us know what you end up doing, wish you a speedy recovery!

Jason

I appreciate the feedback guys. I have decided to have the op, I've got an appointment on Tuesday with my Doctor to arrange a date, ASAP I hope!

I just want to start healing and get back to work, I'm self employed and I don't have insurance so the bills are being payed for from my savings. :lol:

I'll update the thread as I recover, it's good to know what others have experienced and that I can go back to racing with plate in :)

i had a very similar injury (see pic) and the doctors acted the same way (i had it fixated and it healed up fine)... the reason doctors are reluctant either way is because under your clavical you have important neurovascular networks that are at risk in surgery, and with fixation your not gauranteed to take up the displacment which can cause avascular necrosis in the bone (it dies). in your case i would recomend surgery because you seem to have quite a large displacment and the healing time is shorter, furthermore fixation requires a lot of decipline on your part to keep straight and not move around too much( even if you feel better) remember it takes approximately 21 days (in an adult male) for the bone to begin calcification. fortunately i can say that i broke my clavicle on both sides: one was fixated and the other i had an operation and a pin put in... last thing i ask is if that x-ray was taken before or after they put you in temporary fixation?

bikepics-1964392-800.jpg

Update.

So after crashing on the 26th of November, I had almost 3 weeks until I had surgery, 15th December. Unfortunately, the bone had began healing and the doctors virtually had to rebreak it, added to the fact that the piece of my clavicle that had broken off was in multiple pieces which didn't give much support to the screws holding the plate. :bonk:

IMG_0577.png

The doctors say they want me in a sling for at least 6 weeks and doing very minor physio in that time. It's been 10 days since the op and the pain and stiffness in my shoulder is starting to reside, I've been sleeping okay and slowly getting off the meds.

I don't think I'll be racing MX this season, my season starts in March but as soon as I can I'll get back into training and regaining all my lost strength and losing the extra kilo's I've gained from sitting around eating and drinking :banana:

edit: the doctors want to remove the plate in 6 months.

Cheers all, ride on :smirk: