Sign in to follow this  

How to Crash...

...and minimize injury. Do some tumbling and trampoline training in a real gymnastics gym, with proper coaches. It is awesome stuff...

I started last winter, to help learn air awareness for wakeboarding, etc. After a while, I came to like it as much as any other athletic activity I have ever done. Advanced acrobatics on the trampoline is no joke...

With respect to MX, It was quite a shock to learn how little most of us have developed our core body rotation and manipulation skills. Developing these skills is a great investment you can make with regards to minimizing injury in a really really terrible fall...especially when you are thrown from the bike mid air (remeber that vid where Malcom Smitth runs into another rider mid air...and sends the guy into a front flip?)

The specific move that can save your neck is learning a 3/4 front type move (crash dive). In this instructional progression vid...you can see some 3/4 training moves from 1:23 through 1:53. There are others so. Just learning the feel of slower rotations, and how to speed them up, slow them down even more, and manipulate your body can be very valuable.

For those of in the OC/Corona/Temecula Area...this gym is World Elite, in AlisoViejo, CA. Many coaches there are all elite / Olympic level competitors.

If you have kids who ride...get them some T&T training..its fun, great exercise... phenomenally challenging, and it may save them from injury because they will have learned air awareness, and how to fall. Even if you are an adult...give it try. I am 40, and started last year. I am working my way towards double fronts and backs, and flips with twists.. After pile driving yourself into the bed a few times...you will be amazed at how you develop control to shift your body at the very last instant, so as to minimize the impact.

Here are a few more vids of some high level trampoline work...

Edited by Blutarsky

Kool stuff, its great for your core and as you pointed out, important to understand body coordination.

But I don't think it helps very much in a crash. I've been through a few of those nose-down hit in mid air crashes before and you're pretty attached to the bike when you crash and thats a good thing. I would much rather have the bike take the brunt of the force, then try to eject myself from the bike and land square on my back.

Also, unlike bouncing in a calm environment, when you are hit by another rider, the impact is so harsh, it can send you into a shock. Usually you have no idea which way is up or down, usually its so fast, there is no way you can counter act anything. Plus with those heavy motocross boots on, your center of gravity is completely different, your legs become about equal weight to your head, unlike wearing no shoes on a trampoline.

Yeah...true...if you are near the bike...it wont help that much. But if something really crazy happens, and you are doing the 15 foot lawn dart imitation...you would be surprised how much you can adjust in the last split second.

But if something really crazy happens, and you are doing the 15 foot lawn dart imitation

LOL!!!! :)

...you would be surprised how much you can adjust in the last split second.

No doubt! Plus if anything, its good exercise and great for coordination! :lol:

I think it's a good idea, I'm always glad my parents made me do gymnastics wwhen I was younger, but this guy is the one who you need lessons from.

Any sports where you fall a lot will help. Ice hockey, snowboarding, surfing etc. Trampolines and gymnastics are excellent too. Learning to fall is key. especially tumbles that twist/invert you. Contact sports will definitely teach you how to minimize force of impact.

There are definitely some crashes where no athleticism is going to save you, but it will help in most situations.