250 Two-Stroke For Semi-Beginner?

Hey guys

I've been riding street bikes for about a year, have a 45hp ZXR250 which I find very manageable and would like to get into dirt riding.

I thought a 250 2-stroke would be my thing but I test rode a KX250 today and It scared the shit out of me. The seating position was not confidence inspiring compared to the supersport racing crouch, it felt very torquey and very fast. I guess this is partly due to it being only single cylinder.

My question is will I get the confidence to ride a kx250 quickly or is a bike like that just too much for a beginner?

A 250 2 stroke can be a handleful, even for guys that have been rideing for some time, the powervalved motor with the expolsion of power can scare you. If you take your time and ride in fields and practice corners and get used to when the hit of power happens so it doesn't surprise you it helps. Naturally 4 strokes are easier to ride fast because of the way they produce their power, but you can do some things to a smoker to tame them some until you've got more time on it

A 250 2 stroke can be a handleful, even for guys that have been rideing for some time, the powervalved motor with the expolsion of power can scare you. If you take your time and ride in fields and practice corners and get used to when the hit of power happens so it doesn't surprise you it helps. Naturally 4 strokes are easier to ride fast because of the way they produce their power, but you can do some things to a smoker to tame them some until you've got more time on it

i agree.

however i have road a rm250 and i am 5'10 and 110. i didnt find it a handful at all, bowever i have 10+ years of experience.

A 250 MX bike is not good for a beginner, regardless of your street experience. One year of street experience isnt really that much, but if you have been riding street for 10 years, I would probably tell you the same thing...its a whole different ball game. The 250 MX bikes have tons of snappy power and will get away from you very easily if you arent used to it. Are you riding trails or tracks? What is your budget?

you will be fine just respect the power

125's snap into band harder then 250's , 250's you can feel the power coming on easier and smoother 250's have just allot more bottom end torque

as said above find a open field or pine Forrest logging roads ride up and down them for awhile to get used to the kick , if band scaring the shit out of you just short shift before you hit the band sweet spot

i started riding on a yz490 86 model and im still alive and healthy just respect the power and just don't get a big cock and think your a hero

stay away from mud and sand for the time being go somewhere with medium to hard surface so you get a bit of forgiveness with wheel spin

and last of all its a 2 STROKE steer with the rear wheel lmao

if you can buy a 250 2t that's 96 and up the band hits arnt as killer as the older bikes they come in smoother but go just as hard

just remember don't sit to far back , let her spin till you get used to it , use your clutch contently to control the power , lock your heels and knee's to the frame , arms up in a chicken position and hold the f on .

only way to learn is to ride , and its ether you learn or go to hospital and thats with any mx bike

go watch youtube vids on tip's there alot out there

just stay calm dont panic and dont ride past your ability's

allot will diss agrea with this post but honestly every one is different some ppl can handle a big bike straight up and some ppl cant , and IMHO a 125 would be better suited if your going to do track ,it will teach you how to ride and ride fast , but hey if you go a 250 2t and doing trail ride's and just messing around with mates go the 250 2t take it easy you wont be disappointing and wont be looking for more power for along time

and btw a ZXR250 road bike got nothing on the accelaration of a 2t mx bike , more then half less the weight , and a powerband that hits

Edited by xDCxSMOKE
added

I don't think a 250 2-stroke MX bike is a very beginner-friendly bike. It's definitely doable if you've got patience, but it is going to take a lot longer to learn how to ride on a bike like that.

I just started riding about 3 years ago on a 250. Like others have said, respect the power and you should be fine. You can add a flywheel weight to tame it a bit but it will still be a beast. I probably would have learned quicker on a 125 but too late now!

So the 250 MX bikes are aggressive but what about trail/enduro bikes like the KTM 250EXC? Are they any more forgiving? Theres a guy in my street selling a clean KX125, but im worried that i'll get bored of it.

I'll be riding 90% trails and the three bikes im tossing up between now are

2002 KX250 $3500

2003 KTM 250EXC $3400

2001 YZ250: $3000

2007 KX125: $3700

I hate choosing!

I directed a friend of mine who had very little experience riding to a KTM200 or KDX200. He ended up with an '03 KTM200sx, which has worked out really well for him, plenty of power without being overwhelming. You might consider either of those

So the 250 MX bikes are aggressive but what about trail/enduro bikes like the KTM 250EXC? Are they any more forgiving? Theres a guy in my street selling a clean KX125, but im worried that i'll get bored of it.

2002 KX250 $3500

2003 KTM 250EXC $3400

I hate choosing!

KTM, YZ or the 125, the KTM should be a tamer bike because its a purpose built offroader, that YZ should be about the same motor aas the newer YZ's which they made to make a smoother power with less of the explosive hit, the 125 would be alot of fun and anytime spent on a 125 smoker will do nothing but make you a better rider

Like others have stated, a 250 2 stroke is a good bike to learn on. You can lug them in a higher gear without being on the pipe. A 125 you 'have' to ride on the pipe (pinned). It's just the nature of the bike. Since you are riding mostly trails, it will be alot easier to cruise on a 250. A beginner trail rider trying no navigate hills on a 125 wouldn't be much fun.

I just recently bought my first 125 ever, only have ridden 250 2 strokes since 92. The 125's are a friggin blast to ride, but this is coming from a Vet rider. I can see how a beginner wouldn't like it too much or not ride the bike properly.

All you need is to learn throttle control and get to know when the 'hit' comes on. Comes with seat time. One of the biggest obstacles you'll face is proper body position. Throw all that street riding stuff out the window.

If you already have experience on motorcycles you could start off on any bike you want. I wouldn't suggest a 250 to somebody who has never rode a motorcycle before and has no idea how to use the clutch or shift gears. Usually I teach people how to ride on a bike small enough for them to touch the ground comfortably then usually they can ride anything they want. Go for the 250 smoker?

2002 KX250 $3500

2003 KTM 250EXC $3400

I hate choosing!

For 90% trails, I would rank those bikes in the following order

KTM

YZ250

KX250

KX125

The 125 MX bikes make technical trail riding very difficult for a beginner. As others have mentioned, you have to stay "on the pipe" (rev the hell out of the bike) to make any power. They make very little low end power which means you have to master slipping the clutch to ride in slow technical terrain. They really make poor beginner trail bikes. The 250 MX bike should scare the hell out of you. I dont understand the rush alot of folks have to step up to a 250 MX. You could always start on something more tame, such as a KTM 200 and move up to a more powerful bike later. The KTM is leaps and bounds above the rest of the bikes mentioned for off road riding...it is a purpose built machine..made for the trail. You do understand there are differences, right? For the record, I have owned a RM125, YZ125, YZ250, and my KTM is a 300 XC, so I have some experience on this topic.

Respect the bike, and you'll be fine.

I have a friend that was terrified of my YZ250 and another friends CRF450, and he rode a CR125. I couldnt convince him that both bikes are actually easier to ride than his.

You dont ALWAYS have to twist the throttle all the way. Only most of the time.....