Sign in to follow this  

LBJ Harescramble..... tight trails, good times, 2 stroke, Brappp!

http://vimeo.com/33203486

My helmet cam footage from lap 1. Race leaders did 7 laps, I did 6. Race ended up over 3 hours long.

Riding a 2011 KTM 250sx, riding in the 35+ B class, camera is a Go Pro HD recording in 720 - 30fps.

Finished the race in second place in class, 63rd overall out of 215+ riders.

Feedback welcomed..

Nice video, good trails, good times, good riding.

Thanks for sharing.

http://vimeo.com/33203486

My helmet cam footage from lap 1. Race leaders did 7 laps, I did 6. Race ended up over 3 hours long.

Riding a 2011 KTM 250sx, riding in the 35+ B class, camera is a Go Pro HD recording in 720 - 30fps.

Finished the race in second place in class, 63rd overall out of 215+ riders.

Feedback welcomed..

Vid looks great to me. It's kind of encouraging since I got an hd gopro for christmas. What kind of Pirelli midsoft did you run and how was it compared to your trials tire? I wish I could have raced this. This looks like fun!:smirk::bonk: Congratulations!! You did great! 63 our of 215 is pretty good to me.

I ran a mid soft " Extra " I think thats what its called......

No Rekluse because I wanted to ween myself from them.... I find I am a touch faster if I " clutch " it through the corners. Plus I broke my leg back in August ( the doctor told me not to even sit on a dirtbike for a year, much less race ) And it hurts real bad to kickstart... so having a manual clutch allows me to bump start, which I do whenever possible.

I still have my KX450, I bought the KTM while I was out of work on crutches.... Was bored and checking out the classifieds on our local racing site, and this popped up for sale with something like 2 hours run time and only 5500$. I wanted another 2 stroke to play around on, wanted a 200, but this was priced too good to pass up. My second to last race of the NCHSA season, I ran the 2 hour noon race on my KX450, Then for the hell of it, decided to run the 3:30 race in the unlimited class on the KTM..... wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved how nimble and light the bike felt compaired to the 450. So I have been on the KTM ever since, almost at 40 hours on it now and loving every minute of it

I ran a mid soft " Extra " I think thats what its called......

No Rekluse because I wanted to ween myself from them.... I find I am a touch faster if I " clutch " it through the corners. Plus I broke my leg back in August ( the doctor told me not to even sit on a dirtbike for a year, much less race ) And it hurts real bad to kickstart... so having a manual clutch allows me to bump start, which I do whenever possible.

I still have my KX450, I bought the KTM while I was out of work on crutches.... Was bored and checking out the classifieds on our local racing site, and this popped up for sale with something like 2 hours run time and only 5500$. I wanted another 2 stroke to play around on, wanted a 200, but this was priced too good to pass up. My second to last race of the NCHSA season, I ran the 2 hour noon race on my KX450, Then for the hell of it, decided to run the 3:30 race in the unlimited class on the KTM..... wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved how nimble and light the bike felt compaired to the 450. So I have been on the KTM ever since, almost at 40 hours on it now and loving every minute of it

Never heard of an extra before. I like the Pirelli MT16. So was it better or worse than the trials.... Sorry about your leg. It'll heal and you'll be back in time. Are you riding bicycle etc? That should help when your leg is ready .

Ouch! Sorry bout the leg Ron. I always appreciate feedback from people that actually own and race different types of bikes. Ever had a 250 4t?

Leg is almost totally healed by now. Bone is anyway.. just have to get the muscle and tissues back in order. Going to start riding a bicycle this upcoming week, now that my work season has ended till march.

Knobby worked... but was not as smooth or stable riding as the trials tires I usually use. I feel I would have gotten first place in class and several spots higher in the overall on a TT.... I only lost first place by a minute or so over the 3 hours of riding. I know I am that much faster on a TT...

I have had a few 250 four strokes. A 2001 Yamaha WR250 which is what I bought when I got back into riding ( I rode as a kid from age 8 to age 13 ) and is the bike I had when I joined this site. Ive also owned a 2004 CRF250R and a KTM 250f XCw...... They are okay bikes....

Leg is almost totally healed by now. Bone is anyway.. just have to get the muscle and tissues back in order. Going to start riding a bicycle this upcoming week, now that my work season has ended till march.

Knobby worked... but was not as smooth or stable riding as the trials tires I usually use. I feel I would have gotten first place in class and several spots higher in the overall on a TT.... I only lost first place by a minute or so over the 3 hours of riding. I know I am that much faster on a TT...

I have had a few 250 four strokes. A 2001 Yamaha WR250 which is what I bought when I got back into riding ( I rode as a kid from age 8 to age 13 ) and is the bike I had when I joined this site. Ive also owned a 2004 CRF250R and a KTM 250f XCw...... They are okay bikes....

Good to hear you're much better. Surprised to hear you think the trials tire is better with the trails as seen in the vid. Looking on the line I saw only knobbies up there beside you. What kind of trials tire do you use? Doesn't the sidewall flex alot,,, roll over etc? Thanks again still enjoying some of that fun racing in the video..:smirk:

I put on the knobby because the trials tire I had on the bike before that race, well the tire was wore out. So I was going to have to spoon on new rubber. I had considered spooning on another trials tire, but I have 3 or 4 nearly new knobbies, this one was new... I had never been to this course before and had expected a mostly sand based soil and lot's of fast sections. The trials tire works good in those conditions, but I figured the knobby would too, and to keep from wearing out another trials tire, I'd spoon on one of these knobbies and shred it instead.

You have to understand that I race in the NCHSA series, and we race from March to November. Anything I do in between is just for kicks. I have a few brand new trials tires in the shop, I wanted to save them for spring and the start of the 2012 NCHSA season. So I have been running used takeoff trials tires and knobbies on the KTM since getting it. Seeing how I expected sand, I figured the knobby would be fine. But it turned out to be red clay in most of the course and lots of roots, tons of roots as the race wore on. Trials tires love red clay and they work WAY better over roots than a knobby.

I usually run Dunlop trials tires.... I have a stash of the new Vee Rubber trials tires now...

If you look at my videos, 95 percent of them I have a trials tire on the bike. Riding everything from sand, to mud, to hard pack, to rocks , etc.... I love em