Sign in to follow this  

Replace cam chain/clutch disks while i'm in there?

I bought a full gasket set for my XL recently and I plan to replace all of the gaskets soon during winter. Are there any special tools for complete disassembly of the engine? Should I replace any other internal parts while im in there, Cam chain, clutch discs etc. It has 13,000 miles on it and I'm almost certain it has never been open... but we will see... also Is it okay to just replace friction discs in the clutch or is it better to replace all the plates and springs? thanks for the advice! :lol:

one more thing, If I just sat down and did all this at once, how long would it take?

Probably be needing a Flywheel puller and a thing to hold the Clutch basket while you take the main nut off,,(you can get away with using a copper coin or a softish piece of copper for that job).

I'd replace the CamChain for sure and maybe the guides and maybe check the tensioner mechanism..I don't worry about replacing metal clutch discs unless there flogged out and out of spec,,Wouldn't worry about springs,,put a washer on top before you put the bolts through if you're concerned with tension.,We did it a lot in the old days before people got politically correct about everything in engines..

How long would it take,,Depends what you end up finding when you get in there,,Days,,weeks,,who knows.,An XL engine removal and stirp down to the gearbox and separation of the bottom cases would take about 3-4hrs if you're slow..maybe 2 if you were going for it and everything came apart easily,,(Not usual),,allow more time ..

Putting it back together,,the hard part,,unknown time if you haven't done one before..

which model XL is this? unless you were experiencing clutch problems, why bother with it? cam chain replacement is always a good idea. Which means as previously mentioned flywheel removal and a tool for it. go one over on the piston and have the valves done and install new stem seals and you will be fine. Clean the oil slinger too while your at it.

which model xl is this? Unless you were experiencing clutch problems, why bother with it? Cam chain replacement is always a good idea. Which means as previously mentioned flywheel removal and a tool for it. Go one over on the piston and have the valves done and install new stem seals and you will be fine. Clean the oil slinger too while your at it.

1979 XL250S

I guess I will see what I need to replace when I get in there...

I never split the cases unless I have to. A new clutch is pretty easy. As is a top end job, start to finsih top end job all parts ready for re-assembly - for me, an hour or so. Most time is spent on cam timing. I like to do it with the flywheel off. Woddruff key pointing up, install cam lobes down, slip through the cam sprocket align cam sprocket marks flush with head, slip on chain and lift onto sholder of cam. recheck all is ligned up, shoud make a " T in your mind ..... wooruff key vertical - cam sprocket marks horizontally flush with the head.

Dave Rhynehart at Xlintperformance dot com does great engine work, boring, valve job etc.

Your XL250S may have cam chain on the right side of the engine, my principles still apply as per the last post.