Sign in to follow this  

2008 ktm 144 sx

We are looking for a couple 150's and ran across this 144. It looks to be in good shape but the 144 designated bikes had that cylinder failure issue. How concerned should I be about this.

Anybody ridden an 08 vs the later models ? Can you provide feedback . Frame, suspension, brakes etc ? Big differences ?

Price is 3900 which seems high to me. 3500 seems like it would be a fair price as its 4 years off . Thoughts ?

Subscribed. Thanks :lol:

Price is way high for that bike if it has any time at all on it.

I paid a lot less than that for my converted 144.

Keep looking.

So history lesson...

144 was 07/08 and the 150 came about in 09.

The 144 has a 1mm larger carb, and slightly higher compression. People were blowing up motors for various reasons, the biggest reason was the ring type used, which was too square and would get cut on the porting. If the piston had been replaced recently with an updated ring type, then that problem would have gone away. The compression problem is more related to setup/jetting then anything else. People went the wrong direction with the jetting and they wound up having detonation issues.

The 150 fixed the problems with an updated cylinder, updated head, 1mm smaller carb (same as the 125) different CDI and alternative jetting. Its otherwise the same CC, but they changed the name because of all the problems the 144 had.

You can very easily turn a 144 into a 150, I'm doing it right now. Bought a 150 cylinder/piston and head. I'm gonna use the 1mm larger carb, but jet it properly and it should be fine.

In terms of US pricing, 07/08 144's should go for between 2500 - 3000 at most, in mint/clean condition needing nothing. An 09 150 should raise the price slightly, but only by a few hundred. People ask a lot of money for 2010/2011 150's, more like 4500, which I think is crazy.

What about frame and suspension differences ?

Well, there are lots of differences over the years.

The 08 introduced a new type of fork seal, which helps with stiction. There are other minor frame differences in 2009, but I'm not well enough verse to tell you exactly what they are.

But other then that, it wasn't until 2011 where the bike was REALLY changed. The 2011 bike has a different mounting location of the shock, different swing arm, different frame, its REALLY different. Its kind of an in between before the linked rear end.

I would buy an 09 if I were you... It seems to be the lowest year of the proper 150's.

Ill try to be patient and keep looking. Ill jump on a 200 if a deal comes up. :lol:

Im in Kamloops. If you see anything up this way let me know, I would be more then happy to take a look at it for you!

We just really like them. Love the fact you can do the 200 conversion if you need more torque down the road. My skinny 165 lb butt will never need more than a 200.

We were down in the US today pricing new ones. What a difference. Almost left with 2. If I cant find some bikes by the thaw, I will just bring some up.

shoot, I am 210 and will never NEED anymore than a 200.. lol want may be a different story.

My son had and raced a 08 144,a couple of them..It was one of the most fun bikes I ever rode!! Light like a 125 but with some balls.The bike would haul.!! Loved it Loved it Loved!! We had bought 14 new KTM's and thought this was the best of them all.But it was the last ktm we ever bought.It would be fine for a race or two then it would just melt down.Sometimes it wouldnt make it thought two moto's.Ktm was trying to help and would send us a new cly and pistion's and a cdi then try new head, etc..And then do it all over again,again,and again,lots of time and dollars!! ...Sold it and went Green but to be honest I would love to have one again IF you could ride it hard and not blow it up.!!