Sign in to follow this  

97 rm 125 my first bike help with any tips and thanks

Okay I bought a 97 rm 125 for $500, its my first bike and I know nothing about them. So I hope I didn't get ripped off, anyway to my question. What is the plug for with a screw right above and below it for right below #10 "Exhaust valve breather" in the picture.

On my bike the plug grip is all broken like they used pliers to try to pry it open and I'm trying to find a replacement plug of it but I don't know what its for or called.

Motocross_(RM,RM-Z,TM)_RM125-2001-2006_1B.png

I started taking it apart, I got to the seat and fairing and started unbolting the air box but I can take it out? I don't know whats keeping it in there. Also I guess they broke a nut in the air box because it looks like they plastic welded a nut and then put 2 screws in to hold it in place. O_O

I believe I got screwed on this deal :lol: , the bike runs though.

If you plan on keeping this bike and working on it yourself, do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual. it will answer a lot of your questions and give valuable info on maintaining your new machine. It will be money well spent.

good luck with your new ride. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-RM125-1997-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-REPAIR-BOOK-97-RM-125-/260854894198?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbc29ce76#ht_549wt_983

I have that manual already and it doesn't answer any of the questions I just asked but thank for pointing out nothing.

I have that manual already and it doesn't answer any of the questions I just asked but thank for pointing out nothing.

Just take a Big F'n Hammer and pound it till it comes out. That part is not in the manual.

Just tryin to help :lol:

Yes I know it's not in the manual, that's why I came here and was hoping a bike pro could tell me what its for.

$500 and it runs?

not a rip off...ride it until the very last moment before it does, then sell it again for $500

but I'm so lost...which part is it? can you draw an arrow on MS paint which talks about which part it is? or take a picture?

or is it #10 in the link posted by aakmetz?

if it is #10 in that link posted by aakmetz, and it was the exhaust valve adjuster, and the previous owner tried to adjust it without loosening the screws on the retaining plate around it, and they snapped it off, then it's no big deal. Just leave the tension as it is.

I agree, $70 is a lot for a little knob, but if you can't afford a $70 part, you probably can't afford to own an MX bike. They're high performance, and high wear. They require upkeep and periodic maintenance (and that's if you don't break something).

So unless you want to go down the road of doing the proper maintenance, just ride it as is and sell it before it grenades.