Sign in to follow this  

Baja 1000 502X Report

Eric McKenna has a blog at the MX43.com web site. His story is listed on the lower left side (Baja 1000 flashlight ride) or click on top #33 Blog.

www.mx43.com

Eric McKenna has a blog at the MX43.com web site. His story is listed on the lower left side (Baja 1000 flashlight ride) or click on top #33 Blog.

www.mx43.com

From the story ---- I waited for about 5 minutes for the next rider and hopped back on the course to follow my new best friend! We were now headed for the infamous San Felipe whoops. I have measured this section on my pre run and found there were 25 miles of whoops that did not allow you to sit down until you were out of them. I did my best to ride off my newly acquired friend’s lights through some of the deepest whoops I have ridden. It was all going very well when I suddenly see a small dirt booby trap built across the course. I also saw a couple of guys standing in the dark alongside the course and can only assume they were the builders of this obstacle. Since they were not very good at it they hadn’t packed the dirt very well and both me and my light providing partner blew through it with just a minor kick from the rear end of our bikes. All went well after that until I had to pit for gas. Adios to my riding partner.

This was me! 214x....I was hoping to get a report on 502x...so thanks! I was amazed at how fast whoever was on the bike from the arches to the next pit going through those whoops with me... 50 years old and could have smoked me easily... (I was beat from a 100 miles of summit and into borrego) but still... hands down I would have got smoked. We were in the lead and had the championship on the line, but I couldnt leave this guy to ride in the dark and I could tell he was determined. Hopefully I will get to meet you guys Saturday!

John Conrad Team Baja Mex / Crown Performance

From the story ---- I waited for about 5 minutes for the next rider and hopped back on the course to follow my new best friend! We were now headed for the infamous San Felipe whoops. I have measured this section on my pre run and found there were 25 miles of whoops that did not allow you to sit down until you were out of them. I did my best to ride off my newly acquired friend’s lights through some of the deepest whoops I have ridden. It was all going very well when I suddenly see a small dirt booby trap built across the course. I also saw a couple of guys standing in the dark alongside the course and can only assume they were the builders of this obstacle. Since they were not very good at it they hadn’t packed the dirt very well and both me and my light providing partner blew through it with just a minor kick from the rear end of our bikes. All went well after that until I had to pit for gas. Adios to my riding partner.

This was me! 214x....I was hoping to get a report on 502x...so thanks! I was amazed at how fast whoever was on the bike from the arches to the next pit going through those whoops with me... 50 years old and could have smoked me easily... (I was beat from a 100 miles of summit and into borrego) but still... hands down I would have got smoked. We were in the lead and had the championship on the line, but I couldnt leave this guy to ride in the dark and I could tell he was determined. Hopefully I will get to meet you guys Saturday!

Thanks for the post John! Some of us will be at the SCORE awards Saturday but I don't think Eric can make it. I copied this and e-mailed it to him and we all appreciate your help!!!!

David

What section did dizney ride? I did not get that part in the story, great write up

Jim Dizney road 15 feet off the starting pad and then turned the bike over. He had shoulder surgery so couldn't ride on the 502X and also the 600X (Jim is now 60 years old).

From Eric

"Dave,

I just read this email on someone else's computer. I am not home and leaving to go on a Haines tour in a few minutes. That is why I won't see you guys at the dinner. I had already told Chris I would do this before I knew about the Banquet.

Anyway, if you would tell John Conrad to read the post I put Thanking him on mx43.com I would appreciate it.

He really helped us out and knew what he was doing because he stopped for a second to ask me if it would be easier to ride the whoops or the singletrack. I told him the whoops because I could ride side by side. He said they were in the lead by quite a margin in their class and was ok doing that because he was not rushed. I thought that was cool of him.

:-) #33"

PS. John, Eric posted a thank you in the comments section in the article on MX43.com

David

I read the comment and posted, thanks David!

from mx43

Eric, one word - Sportsman! :lol: glad you guys made the cut off despite all the issues. I'm super stoked to be able to help and I believe what goes around comes around. It made the win a bit more special. Hope to see some of the 502 team at the awards so we can share a story or two over some drinks!