Sign in to follow this  

Please help, need clutch advise (pictures)

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

(sorry pics are with a camera phone)

Do I need a new clutch basket? and whats up with the lock washer all chewed up(hitting the springs)? My service manual says only after 08 has these(this is a 2006) should that washer be removed? Im guessing previous owner put it in there. Plates dont look bad besides a little wear on the teeth. Is the inner hub suppose to be grooved like that? The grooves are pretty deep. The outer basket doesnt look too bad there is some grooving going on though. Also when I drained the oil it was a milky grey/black color while my motor oil was a nice gold color. Maybe the oil just needed to be changed? I have it all apart and a new clutch kit ready to go in if I even need it! I need advise on what to do here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Edited by DirtNwateR

I searched previous threads one from early this year and his looked similar to mine and everyone was saying it looked good? its $83 for the clutch center and $230 for the outer not to mention I just spent $175 on the clutch kit =(

I just replaced my disks and filed the basket with intentions to replace the basket soon. Lots of threads about that. General idea is that filing only gains you time and its going to regroove especially since you are giving more clearance between the tabs for them to hit and groove.

If you put it back in the way it is, the plates are going to be grabby and wear faster without the ability to move on the tabs.

Color described is somewhat normal. How often are you changing the trans oil? I'm assuming you have separate engine oil.

Lock washer probably re-used, thats why it looks chewed.

Frictionplates tabs is badly worn.

Basket does not look to bad, but its started to go. Filing is a shortterm solution.

Innerhub is totally shot! I never seen pics of a hub that worn - on both sides too! Can't even imagine the abuse that hub has taken!

Got a basket for the wifes 200, with stainless steel insert on the basket fingers, that take care of the grooving issue and also made the clutch soooo smooth. It got an autoclutch installed and its almost impossible to tell if the bike is in gear or not when rolling it around.

Lock washer probably re-used, thats why it looks chewed.

Frictionplates tabs is badly worn.

Basket does not look to bad, but its started to go. Filing is a shortterm solution.

Innerhub is totally shot! I never seen pics of a hub that worn - on both sides too! Can't even imagine the abuse that hub has taken!

Got a basket for the wifes 200, with stainless steel insert on the basket fingers, that take care of the grooving issue and also made the clutch soooo smooth. It got an autoclutch installed and its almost impossible to tell if the bike is in gear or not when rolling it around.

I see why the guy was selling it to me then lol I just got this bike grrr!!! He was an older guy and took great care of the bike so he says, everything else looks good perhaps this is the original clutch? Looks like im going back to honda to blow some more $$$ :lol: Thanks for the info really helps. When I put everything back together is MOTUL 10w40 good for my motor and tranny? I bought it at honda its 4 stroke oil for bikes...

I wouldn't suggest getting the parts from the dealer. Search online, almost guaranteed you'll save cash.

Unless you're one of those guys that believes you should always support the local shops even if the price is double or triple :lol:

GOod luck

I wouldn't suggest getting the parts from the dealer. Search online, almost guaranteed you'll save cash.

Unless you're one of those guys that believes you should always support the local shops even if the price is double or triple :)

GOod luck

Well where can I find an inner hub and basket at? You have a few sites handy? I have no idea, this is my first bike just getting into the sport :lol:

Please... Identify the bike and post it in the proper forum. I had to do some digging to figure out you have a CRF250R. I have move the thread.

BTW, Weisco sells them, lifetime warranty. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895131

Hinson sells them too as well as OEM. TT store carries them all!

Please... Identify the bike and post it in the proper forum. I had to do some digging to figure out you have a CRF250R. I have move the thread.

BTW, Weisco sells them, lifetime warranty. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895131

Hinson sells them too as well as OEM. TT store carries them all!

Sorry was just trying to get a faster response in the general discussion. I tried going to the TT parts but its not letting me. Everyone keeps telling me to use oem parts? Everywhere I have seen OEM has been about the same price... I like that lifetime warranty though that is sweet!

Barnett baskets on EBAY! Hinson is good but when it notches it takes a loooooooooooong time for them to replace it under warranty. Barnett will have you up and racing in less than a week. I use OEM inner hub form Motorsport, Service Honda, Beaver Dam Honda of whever.

Ya definitly get a new basket and even a hub.. If the plates are out of clearance get new ones also. Just look around for a bit, you will find them for good prices. Ebay will be your best bet. I actually got a new Hinson Billet Clutch basket brand new for 130 on here. Just look around.

DONT BUY A NEW BASKET YET!!!!!

File down those grooves smooth and it'll feel like a brand new clutch setup. Sure, it's not a permanent fix, but you'll get plenty more ride time out of that clutch without having to buy new parts.