Sign in to follow this  

Instead of built DR 650 what should I consider?

I just wanted to make a quick check. I want a duel sport bike that will see serious highway use even though the goal is to have it off paved road as much as possible.

Here in the desert southwest we have great riding but 75 mph speed limit highway to get to it. Our states are big and we use highways to get from place to place. No truck or trailer.

It looks like I can pick up a DR 650 with some mods already done for about $3,000. Depending on mileage and how much has been done another $2,500 gets me big bore kit, cam, carb, exhausts system and suspension set up. It will need a new seat and a few other things but so will any bike I buy.

So we will round up and call it $6,000 with a suspension set up just right for me.

What else should I consider for $6,000 either bike price or bike price plus mods?

Bike will not need to carry very heavy luggage, I'm think 40 lbs. or less, I travel light.

Man, for $6 grand, I could name many bikes I would pick over a heavy DR 650 for your riding conditions. Any of these bikes with run 75 mph safely, especially with slight gearing changes. They will also perform much better off road that the DR.

1) - KTM 450/530 EXC

2) - Husaberg 570

3) - Yamaha WR450

4) - Honda CRF450X

In my opinion, installing a big bore kit in a DR 650 would be a waste of money. I mean, what do you think would be gained? You could spend $2500 modding that bike and it will get outperformed by any of the bikes above with $1000-$1500 in mods. I know a guy who owned a DR 650 for dual sport...it was a very clean low milage bike...but it weighed as much as a tank. He sold it in less than a year.

Yep. Spend no money on the pig.

A TE630 was the ticket for me. I don't have much more in it than you're talking about for an overweight, old-tech, clapped out DR.

I would go with a KTM 690. It would suit your needs but may be tough to meet your price point. The 690 is a good road bike and in stock form probably still better than a modified DR offroad. Anything that is set up to be a decent freeway bike will never be a strong single track bike but can be made to work OK as a desert bike. If you want to lean even more toward the off road side I would look for a Husaberg 570. They are very capable off road and OK on the road. Again, it may take some searching to meet your price point. Either of these bikes will be much more advanced than a DR and perform much better.

CoKTM

After a quick check of Craig's List it appears most of the bike that have been suggested are going to over shoot the budget. Nice bikes. Gas tank is a big issue on all, mainly the price of after market up grade.

I have owned a KLR 650 and a SV 650. Both bikes I had to replace the suspensions on. I'm 5'11"/#195. With bike like the KTMs or the Honda 450 will the stock suspension be enough or is it designed for lighter riders?

I was happy with the KLRs suspension after all the Race Tech stuff was installed. Would have kept it but need more power. Not much you can do with that engine.

I'm 5'11"/#195. With bike like the KTMs or the Honda 450 will the stock suspension be enough or is it designed for lighter riders?

I wouldnt imagine that you would need beefier suspension than a stock 450 for what you are doing with the bike...it would probably even be ok for off road...you arent exactly heavy. Im 6' even and 180 lbs and rode a WR426 on technical offroad trails...the suspension worked fine.

Why spend so much on the DR650 engine performance mods? Suspension and seat yes, the rest, maybe you don't need? The DR with $1,000 spent on suspension and seat and a GSXR can and you would have an excellent dual-sport.

None of the high performance, off-road bike suggestions (Husaberg, KTM, etc) make sense for serious highway mileage. Of course, you'll still have a 370lb bike. If that doesn't scare you, go for it. They are as reliable as they come.

XR650L would also do pretty well.

6148538840_0e059aef83_z.jpg

Edited by jon_l

Why spend so much on the DR650 engine performance mods?

I like power. I have never owned a bike that I thought had enough power.

Am not in the lets see how cheap camp. This bike will be my one toy. I can do it in steps and stages all the while enjoying the bike. Maybe I will be happy with air box, pipe and jetting? Probably not for long.

If I came across the right XR650R then that would be an option as well. In my part of the world there isn't always much to choose from used.

The attraction of the DR is there is so much affordable aftermarket parts both new and used.

I'm not really worried about the weight. First and foremost I'm not a good enough rider to be pushing things to the limit. Second I'm a big strong guy. I own a CrossFit Gym. I'm a very in shape #195.

I like power. I have never owned a bike that I thought had enough power.

Am not in the lets see how cheap camp. This bike will be my one toy. I can do it in steps and stages all the while enjoying the bike. Maybe I will be happy with air box, pipe and jetting? Probably not for long.

If I came across the right XR650R then that would be an option as well. In my part of the world there isn't always much to choose from used.

The attraction of the DR is there is so much affordable aftermarket parts both new and used.

I'm not really worried about the weight. First and foremost I'm not a good enough rider to be pushing things to the limit. Second I'm a big strong guy. I own a CrossFit Gym. I'm a very in shape #195.

What area of Arizona?