Sign in to follow this  

Colorado registering a trailer that hasn't been titled for some years?

I need to register a small trailer whose registration expired 3 years or so ago.

(Small fold-able trailer that I haven't used for a while)

Anybody knows if that falls under the following? Weld county if that makes any difference. I'd hate to pay a $100 late fee on a registration that is probably $20 at most...

Senate Bill 09-108 was signed on March 2, 2009. It imposes a mandatory late fee of $25-$100. This is not subject to being waived. This late fee is on all expired registrations including temporary permits.

well, I tried to license a trailer that had expired plates for a yr, and they wanted to hit me with the $100 fee... So, I signed my title over to a friend. We went to get plates together, I paid, then he signed the new title back to me. I then put in the present date when it was time to plate this yr. The lady totally new what we were doing, in fact she kinda coached us how to do it...

Go weigh your trailer and fill out home made trailer form. New trailer, new plate!

Don't you need some VIN or serial number?

From what I have read, you also need to come up with some bill of material you used. I suppose I could have "rebuilt" it from the previous one that was mysteriously destroyed...

The home made trailer thing doesn't work as well as it used to. Governor tax-us Ritter screwed us on the registration fees. The cheapest way to renew is to sell it to your wife for $100, and go down and re-title it.

No, not at all. It just means $8 in sales tax, vs paying a $100 penalty plus the actual license plate fee.

I was using that number as an example of a believable number for DMV when selling to a family member.

mjskier....I encountered this late fee on an old musclecar that I hadn't driven since 2002....well before this new law....and still got tagged the $100 when I decided to get plates since I got it running again. Our govt doesnt care if you even use the vehicle, they think they can milk us for fees every year until eternity.

The people at the Arapahoe County motor vehicle office advised me that the only way to avoid the $100 late fee even if you don't plan to use the vehicle or trailer is to pay the ownership tax each year ($3.00....yes three measly dollars). According to them, this will allow you to avoid the up to $100 late fee when you do register it again and plan to use it on the roads (I'm skeptical but thats what they told me).

The late fee is $25 per month up to $100 maximum penalty Unless you resort to some of the trickery described above, there really is no way to avoid it.

The real remedy is we need to vote out of office every senator and state rep who voted for this bill and then get it overturned (I am not hopeful). Govt is now looking at their citizens as a cash cow....we must pay for the sheer privilege of owning our vehicles each and every year....whether we use them or not. And if you dont, your price of re-admission to the game is $100.

My way of getting back at my government was to continue to drive my musclecar with expired plates for several years without paying the registration.

I am going to plate my son's motorcycle this year and i will get screwed the $100 late fee even though he couldn't have possibly replated it and driven it when we bought it two years ago since he was only 14. So....what sense does that make?...he cant even run it on the road since he is underaged and doesnt have a motorcycle endorsement on his license. You know what their answer was....well since it was in my name I could have plated it and should have done that to avoid the $100 late fee. Of course, to plate the bike, I would have had to pay license fees for two years and insurance for two years just to get the license plates so it could sit in the garage because he was too young to legally ride it. So.....you pay out the *ss for license and insurance and cant even legally drive it on the road or you pay $100 late fee when you can legally ride it. The government is costing us significant money even if we dont use the vehicle because we cant pay the license fees or even if you cant legally use it. If this has happened to me twice in two years, I would bet that many other people are getting screwed by this law.

• Like 1

Is $100 a magic number?

Oh yeah, we put down that it was a "GIFT" I paid $4.50 for taxes.....

but yeah, I just bought a klr650 and had the guy put $100 down for purchase price. Made registration super cheap.