Sign in to follow this  

pw 50 racing

Do they still race stock pw 50 as a class. My 6 yr old has one and we were thinking of trying a little racing in the spring. We live near Blue Diamond in DE and Easton MX in Md.

Any input from other first timers at the tract with kids around other bikes.

He is a very good rider just has not ridden on a real track with other riders.

Was it a difficult transition from the back yard to the track.

they do have pee wee classes. each track will differ as to which other bike will line up with the PW. when we raced the PW, it was the PW and the CRF50 in both the same class. they would not let the OI Cobra or other bikes run with them though. again, each track is different. i think the one thing most tracks have in common is they make that class a stock class.

the AMA still has a shaft class for the PW.

take your boy out to watch a race once or twice. explain how the gate works, and how they have to follow a certain direction. even better is if you can show up early and walk the track with him, from coming off the starting gate, to the finish line. kids are like sponges, they will learn quick.

If they let you walk the track, that's really helpful. Here the adult classes are completely hood winked - you don't see the track till the race starts, but I'd imagine that with the pee wee class they'd let you walk it once.

The good news there's plenty of flaggers and parents around, so if your kid dumps it or can't start it or what ever, somebody will help him out. Although at six, I'd think he'll be just fine.

The tracks you mentioned should be open for practice weekends. The biggest issue you'll run into with taking a PW50 on a normal track is ruts. The little wheels get buried in no time. Teach him how to look for the smooth flat lines, even if it's on the far outside of a corner.