Sign in to follow this  

Easy method of installing O-ring master link (PIC)

Maybe this isn't new, or the best idea ever, but I got tired of sitting by myself with needle nose vise grips trying to compress the O rings enough so I could slide the clip on, so I thought outside the box.

Here's what to do:

Get everything ready to go on... clip in position, etc.

Get a leftover link (we all have them) and put it over the clip in line with the other link.

Get a large pair of vise grips and grip the entire link, but not too tight. You still want to be able to install the clip. Just tight enough so it doesn't come apart.

Take a larger sized flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap it in! Should take one or two taps depending on how tight your vise grips are.

Be sure that your spare link will slide over the rivets in the master link, that's the key to the whole method. The rivets will slide through both links but your vise grips won't be touching them.

Kind of hard to explain/write, but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

masterlink.jpg

Maybe this isn't new, or the best idea ever, but I got tired of sitting by myself with needle nose vise grips trying to compress the O rings enough so I could slide the clip on, so I thought outside the box.

Here's what to do:

Get everything ready to go on... clip in position, etc.

Get a leftover link (we all have them) and put it over the clip in line with the other link.

Get a large pair of vise grips and grip the entire link, but not too tight. You still want to be able to install the clip. Just tight enough so it doesn't come apart.

Take a larger sized flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap it in! Should take one or two taps depending on how tight your vise grips are.

Be sure that your spare link will slide over the rivets in the master link, that's the key to the whole method. The rivets will slide through both links but your vise grips won't be touching them.

Kind of hard to explain/write, but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Alright - I like it. Perhaps a small bloop of grease on the clip will help it slide between the plates too.

JayC

I use a chain breaker tool alternating on both sides... I screw down nd tighten the first, exterior part but not the inside. Kinda hard to explain haha

Me to :lol::thumbsup:

I use a 1/4-20 nut and vice grips and go back and forth between the two pins a couple times until it's seated evenly.