ucantridethis01

Help with crank seal??

A buddy has my repair manual, but i'm trying to find/replace the right crank seal in my 06 CRF250r. My question is, do I have to pull the whole right case cover off or can I get to the seal if I just pull the clutch basket out?? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I've actually replaced it without removing the clutch. But I frequently waste time trying to save time and this was one of those times.

If you don't have the proper tools to remove the clutch it can be done, it's much easier when the clutch is out of the way.

How do you actually pull the seal out? What have yal used to pull the seal out with? I’ve got to do one on a 04 250R.

Stewart Frank

12CRF250R

I drill a drywall screw right into the seal without hitting the surrounding case surface of the seal. Take a claw hammer and use the claw to pull it right out.

• Like 1

Ok so I don't have the clutch holder, and if i'm looking at it correctly its the gear right infront of the clutch. So how in world do u get that gear off without taking the clutch off nesc103y??? Never again will I buy a Honda 4 stroke. I've this thing apart 3x's as much as i've ridden it!!

Ok so I'm stumped again. I've got everything off and my Crank Seal exposed. It looks fine, should I visually see something wrong with it if it is faulty?? Any other advice on what I should check?? My problem was Tranny fluid flowing into engine oil.

The Crank seal may look ok, but change it anyway and change the Balance Shaft seal.

TAKE your time.

I have used the proceedure that Charlie stated earlier in this topic, it works great.

I have used seal removal tools and screw drivers, just take your time and be careful.

Ok so I have the Balancer Seal exposed as well as the Right Crank Seal. There is no visual wear or defects to either one. Only thing I can see is that the Crank Seal is maybe seated a little too deep. From what I read I believe its supposed to be almost flush with the top, is that correct?? So Where should I go from here?? Should I just replace both Seals and hope for the best or look for something else while i'm in here. I'm ready to set this thing on fire!! Please help!!!!

Yes, the seal should be even with the case and not counter sunk in. I've accidently put them in too far and it didn't make a difference. Replace both seals and put it back together. You should be fine.

I have some what of the same problem on my 2014 crf250r except its my engine oil going to my transmission side what would i have to replace then?

On 6/1/2012 at 1:56 PM, Charlie C said:

Yes, the seal should be even with the case and not counter sunk in. I've accidently put them in too far and it didn't make a difference. Replace both seals and put it back together. You should be fine.

I have some what of the same problem on my 2014 crf250r except fhe engine oil is going to the transmission side what do i do then?

I have some what of the same problem on my 2014 crf250r except fhe engine oil is going to the transmission side what do i do then?
Replace the right side crank seal and the balancer seal. Make sure all of your breather hoses are clear, especially the one on the top of the head, check for play in the balancer bearing too.