Help with crank seal??

I've actually replaced it without removing the clutch. But I frequently waste time trying to save time and this was one of those times.

If you don't have the proper tools to remove the clutch it can be done, it's much easier when the clutch is out of the way.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok so I'm stumped again. I've got everything off and my Crank Seal exposed. It looks fine, should I visually see something wrong with it if it is faulty?? Any other advice on what I should check?? My problem was Tranny fluid flowing into engine oil.

TAKE your time.

I have used the proceedure that Charlie stated earlier in this topic, it works great.

I have used seal removal tools and screw drivers, just take your time and be careful.

Ok so I have the Balancer Seal exposed as well as the Right Crank Seal. There is no visual wear or defects to either one. Only thing I can see is that the Crank Seal is maybe seated a little too deep. From what I read I believe its supposed to be almost flush with the top, is that correct?? So Where should I go from here?? Should I just replace both Seals and hope for the best or look for something else while i'm in here. I'm ready to set this thing on fire!! Please help!!!!

• 6 years later...
On 6/1/2012 at 1:56 PM, Charlie C said:

Yes, the seal should be even with the case and not counter sunk in. I've accidently put them in too far and it didn't make a difference. Replace both seals and put it back together. You should be fine.

I have some what of the same problem on my 2014 crf250r except fhe engine oil is going to the transmission side what do i do then?

I have some what of the same problem on my 2014 crf250r except fhe engine oil is going to the transmission side what do i do then?
Replace the right side crank seal and the balancer seal. Make sure all of your breather hoses are clear, especially the one on the top of the head, check for play in the balancer bearing too.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2018 at 6:59 PM, CRFRida1605 said:
On 10/17/2018 at 8:35 AM, Jason Dyck said:

Replace the right side crank seal and the balancer seal. Make sure all of your breather hoses are clear, especially the one on the top of the head, check for play in the balancer bearing too.

What do i all have to take apart to get to the seal and bearing

Perhaps not split the center cases but you'll have to remove the left and right hand side engine covers

to disassemble the flywheel, balance shaft, clutch assy and, primary/balancer drive gears to access the seals.

Clutch holding fixture, flywheel puller would be required and of course the most valuable tool of all, a factory service manual.

Edited by mlatour