Sign in to follow this  

Oil Strainer Stuck

I cant seem to remove the oil strainer. I have undone the bolt on the side of the case and can see it in there but it wont come out. I have tried pulling it with needle nose pliers with no luck but don't want to pull too hard as it might brake off inside.

Its an 08 RMZ250, its not done a lot of hours at all.

I'm aware there are two strainers and one you can only get at by slitting cases. I only want to remove the PUMP FEED strainer for inspection and cleaning.

Am I missing something obvious here? I have read the service manual and followed all steps.

Thanks

well i havent had it happen before, but my guess is the last time it was installed, it wasnt lined up with the bolt the covers it causing it to buckle or snag on the passages...worst case scenario you rip it out getting all the pieces out with the pliers and buy a new one, i think its costs like $7 in the US.

I can see how what could happen. If its be pushed in too far could this have damaged the other strainer located behind it, or are they in separate parts of the engine?

I just want to be 100% before I start pulling bits out.

Thanks

I can see how what could happen. If its be pushed in too far could this have damaged the other strainer located behind it, or are they in separate parts of the engine?

I just want to be 100% before I start pulling bits out.

Thanks

im pretty sure the other strainer is contained within its own compartment...

Mine is always stuck when I try take it out. But a gentle to firm tug with long nose pliers gets it loose. Funk is right it must be lined up inside the hollow of the "side" drain bolt before tightening the bolt.