Sign in to follow this  

Gas tank shroud inserts

There have been post here for getting them out. I have never had that problem but as I remember one method was to spin the insert with a drill and when it gets hot to remove it from the gas tank, and then somehow after the bolt is out it is installed back into the tank.

if you can pry up under the bolt while spinning the bolt with a drill/airgun, generally, enough heat gets created to melt the brass "nut" out of the tank. Don't try and dig it out, you risk the chance of penetrating into the tank and that'll cause you more grief.

Once you get it out, you can epoxy it back into the hole, or go find someone who does plastic welding and they can weld it back in almost like new.

When you epoxy it in make sure you put some grease on the bolt threads, thread it into the brass until it is flush with the bottom, clean off any grease on the brass THEN epoxy it in - this will make sure your threads don't get epoxied and will allow the bolt to come back out after it all sets up again.

I just did that o mine. Take a cut off wheel and grind the head off. The aluminum washer binds on the insert. Once the bolt head is off it should come out by hand if not use a dremmel tool and cut a slot in the remaining bolt and use a screw driver to remove it.