Sign in to follow this  

No audible click from decomp after top end svc

Hey guys, just did a top end service on my son's 2007 CRF250R. New piston, full service machining, valves, seats, etc... from RacersER (www.fastheads.com).

After we got the head re-installed and the timing set, I slowly moved the piston through the entire travel by pushing the kick starter with my hand. Prior to the service when the piston neared TDC, there was an audible "click" sound which from what I understand is the auto-decompression system. At this position, I know all the valves are closed and the piston is at, or near TDC. After re-assembly, I no longer heard this click. Did I miss something during re-assembly? I don't have any left over parts!

Is it OK to start the bike? I don't want to break anything!

Thanks!

That "click" is caused by the decompression lobe lifting the exhaust valves open just before the compression stroke. It is pretty easy to inspect the decomp lever to make sure it turns freely and that the small spring has enough tension to hold the counter weight in (this position rotates the decomp lobe into the "lift" position. Just remove the head cover and take a look.

There probably won't be any damage starting, but I would investigate it first.

Thanks guys. Found the problem. Turns out the timing chain slipped off the gear in the crankcase, so when we pushed the kick starter, the piston went up and down, but the camshaft didn't move. Once I got the chain on there (with was a pain in the butt!), back in bidness.

Bike started on 4th kick. :lol: