Sign in to follow this  

Ratchet Straps

Will they work for my application?

I've always used the cam style in an open trailer or pickup but now I've got a toyhauler and won't have room to lever them down, so was thinking of getting some ratchet straps so that I can just stand beside bikes and crank em down.

A couple reviews give me some concern though...and this is seemingly reinforced by the design of the MSR ratchet straps. Some reviews seem to indicate that the ratchets can't handle enough strap to compress a dirt bike fork sufficiently. In addition to the ratchet, the MSR straps also have a cam buckle which you presumably use to take out the first part of the travel and then use the ratchet for snug it up.

So...will ratchet straps easily work when standing next to the bikes? I am trying to fit multiple bikes in some tight quarters and can't easily get under the bars to pull cam straps down.

I have been looking at Powertye 1 1/2 " ratchet straps with safety hooks on both ends. My ideal would be a strong ratchet strap (1" seems enough if stitched right), with safety hooks/carabiners on both ends and 1" soft ties.

Thanks.

I did the same thing,Work's awesome in the toyhauler!!Very easy to do by yourself,and easier to use after a long day of racing!!!I got a set from Rockymountain with the caribiner's on the lower end and soft loop's on the top half,Love em!!If i remember right they were $17 and have worked perfect,i have a year of racing roadtrip's on em!!!

have you never used ratchet straps? they will be fine for holding your bike and are dead easy to use. my dad's friend owns a major recovery business in my city and use ratchet straps to secure pretty much everything except on his heavy wrecking trucks. a decent set of 1" will be fine

All I use is ratchet straps.

Two wraps on the ratchet drum is sufficient to achieve the maximum holding force the tie is rated for.

1" Powertyes are rated for 800 lbs each strap...that's working load limit, not breaking point.

2 straps=1600 lbs.

Should hold a 250 lb bike just fine.

You don't need to make them crazy tight. I stand next to the bike and lean it against my hip while I attach one strap. Then I attach a strap and lean it the other way, and more remove the slack in the line than actually tightening the tie downs. I love the Rocky Mtn tie downs with the caribiner ends and soft hooks.

I hate ratchet straps for bikes, quads they are great if you are straping by the axle since you can ratchet them you can get everything nice and tight...but for my bikes in the toy hauler I just use one cam style tie down off each side of my handlebars and just snug them and then I will use another tie down and go from my sub frame or foot peg and run it behind the bike to an anchor and tighten it up. also will put the bike in gear and my bikes will sit in the middle of the floor just fine!

I did the same thing,Work's awesome in the toyhauler!!Very easy to do by yourself,and easier to use after a long day of racing!!!I got a set from Rockymountain with the caribiner's on the lower end and soft loop's on the top half,Love em!!If i remember right they were $17 and have worked perfect,i have a year of racing roadtrip's on em!!!

Yeah!...I was originally looking at these:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=135&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=21&prodFamilyId=15453

Are those the ones you have? Same for you emerybrian?

The 3rd review (by Paul) made me wonder if they'll work on a dirt bike. Clearly they'd work on an ATV and I couldn't tell if most of those who liked em had ATVs or bikes.

And yes...I have a bunch of ratchet straps, but their hooks aren't big enough for dirt bikes. We use them for various cargo applications in our pickups.

I hate ratchet straps for bikes, quads they are great if you are straping by the axle since you can ratchet them you can get everything nice and tight...but for my bikes in the toy hauler I just use one cam style tie down off each side of my handlebars and just snug them and then I will use another tie down and go from my sub frame or foot peg and run it behind the bike to an anchor and tighten it up. also will put the bike in gear and my bikes will sit in the middle of the floor just fine!

Thats where my problem comes in...my bikes won't be in the middle of the floor. They will be sideways in the trailer and I don't want to try to be ducking under the handlebars to try to get in front of the bikes to pull down the straps on those with cam locks.

Why wouldn't a ratchet strap work for you?

if you have regular ratchet straps just use them. if the hook isent big enough just loop the strap though the bottom part of the hook where it attaches to the strap, going around whatever part of your bike your tying onto. personally i use just one strap and hook one end to the truck or trailer then wrap a couple loops around the handle bars then ratchet the other side down to the truck again. i often even just use one strap for three or four bikes and theyre always solid, never had one fall down even driving on bumpy dirt roads.

Thats where my problem comes in...my bikes won't be in the middle of the floor. They will be sideways in the trailer and I don't want to try to be ducking under the handlebars to try to get in front of the bikes to pull down the straps on those with cam locks.

Why wouldn't a ratchet strap work for you?

they were just a pain in the butt...holding up the bike while messing with the ratchet to get it right then ratcheting it down a bunch of times to find out the roll of strap is too large and binding in the ratchet then having to loosen it and start all over....much easier in my opinion to just yank the strap tight, and they are cheaper! but to each is own...

All I use is ratchet straps.

Two wraps on the ratchet drum is sufficient to achieve the maximum holding force the tie is rated for.

I'm guessing that 2 wraps gets enough compression on the fork that it will hold securely on rough roads?

That is key for us because our hauler has sliding glass doors between the garage and the living room and I obviously don't want a bike going through them. The bikes will be sideways with the front tire of the first two in Pingel wheel chocks so no chance of the bars pivoting and them falling over. The first bike will face passenger side, the second driver, etc. The bars of the first bike won't be lined up with the glass doors so if I tip it too far when tieing it down, it won't break them but will just hit wall. I intend to tie down the rear tire too so it won't bounce into the doors.

My buddy showed me a real slick way to use the standard straps. And he does it with crazy expensive roadrace bikes, so I'm OK with doing it with mine.

Put the straps on in the direction to pull UP. Sit on the bike and pull the tension out while pulling up on the tightening straps, then rock the bike back and forth gently while pulling the straps. Hold them both, and pull them both. You can tie a bike down in seconds this way, from the seat. May solve your problem...

why not just turn your cam lock tiedowns around so your pulling up on them?

A good idea, but for two reasons...

1- They are soft ties and will be upside down (but I could work around that via using separate soft ties on the bikes) but I'd need to use my climbing carabiners down low to prevent unintentional disconnect if hit a big bump

and

2- The big reason is they tend to slip and need knots and I'm tired of tying them, its time consuming, the cams would probably end up down low and to get a knot right against it would require squeezing in front of each bike and I need something that is more secure so I don't have a bike tip over and break a glass door inside the trailer.

Ok...so #2 turned into about 4 reasons. The ones I have are about 4 years old and have seen enough use to roughen the fastening areas so the slippage isn't what it was when they were new, but I do not trust them without at least two tight knots in the excess webbing. We almost lost a bike out of my pickup when a buddy tied them down with no knots! :lol:

My buddy showed me a real slick way to use the standard straps. And he does it with crazy expensive roadrace bikes, so I'm OK with doing it with mine.

Put the straps on in the direction to pull UP. Sit on the bike and pull the tension out while pulling up on the tightening straps, then rock the bike back and forth gently while pulling the straps. Hold them both, and pull them both. You can tie a bike down in seconds this way, from the seat. May solve your problem...

Sounds great for my open trailer or pickup if I didn't use straps with soft ties which dictate pull down. In my hauler, I won't have much room to rock the first bike though because there will only be 4 inches between the bar end and the wall. Good tip though! We've been doing it the other way in my pickup...one guy stand on pegs and push down on one side of bar, then the other. Your way would be easier. Will hafta try it if don't use soft tie straps.

Yeah!...I was originally looking at these:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=135&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webCatId=21&prodFamilyId=15453

The 3rd review (by Paul) made me wonder if they'll work on a dirt bike. Clearly they'd work on an ATV and I couldn't tell if most of those who liked em had ATVs or bikes.

And yes...I have a bunch of ratchet straps, but their hooks aren't big enough for dirt bikes. We use them for various cargo applications in our pickups.

Yeah,they have held up great,i have used em at race's to hold down the awning on the toyhauler when it get's windy also.....:) They have never failed,never slipped,Probably the best $17 product ive ever bought.....:lol:

I use these:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webTypeId=135&webCatId=21&brandId=234&prodFamilyId=15447

I bought their ratchet ones a year ago but never tried them.

Your old tie downs should have been replaced a long time ago, they shouldn't be slipping at all. Do you have the 4 for $9.99 kind from Home Depot?

IF you do not use something to keep the forks from compressing (something like this http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/viewLargerImage.do?prodFamilyId=11640&navType=type ) when you strap it down, compress them all the way. If you don't do one of the two the forks may compress a little if you hit a bump and the straps will then loose tension and can possibly come undone.

I use these:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&navTitle=Trailer+Accessories&webTypeId=135&webCatId=21&brandId=234&prodFamilyId=15447

I bought their ratchet ones a year ago but never tried them.

Your old tie downs should have been replaced a long time ago, they shouldn't be slipping at all. Do you have the 4 for $9.99 kind from Home Depot?

No. I have Powertye soft ties made specifically for motorcycles. About 4 years old. The webbing was slick when I bought them. The cam lock tie downs I bought from another motorcycle store don't slip, but they're made by someone else and don't have soft ties. I use them for cargo applications in my pickup because they fit the tiedown holes in the bed where most others don't.

Quick note on the carabiners.

I have a set of Pro Taper tie downs. Come to find out, the carabiners can pop off an eyelet if you aren't careful. When you're tying the bike down and there's enough slack in the strap so the carabiner can drop down, it can position itself in a way that a quick tug and it will pop right off. It feels normal and locked in, but a slight jolt and it will pop off. Always double check them.

I think they give you a false sense of security, you latch them in and think you can just forget about them. My next set will just have hooks, or soome sort of locking carabiner.