Sign in to follow this  

Lithium-Ferrous batteries

I have noticed some advertising for these Lithium-Ferrous batteries.

They say they save 3 lbs over the stock battery.

Dropping 3 lbs of weight carried high in the frame is interesting.

I'm curious if anyone has experience or knowledge about the batteries.

The ad said "Lithium Ferrous" but ferrous is another way of saying Iron, so , yes,

"Lithium Iron"

Is Shorai a brand or company? I'll search for both. Thanks for the hints.

Shorai and Turntech are 2 of the companies building lithium batteries. They are much lighter than lead acid batteries but don't work well when they are cold. They also are a lot stronger than lead acid batteries. My stock battery sucked and would not crank the motor over for more than 3-4 seconds. My lithium will crank all day long. You can build your own if you can find the right cells, but it is very dangerous to build. JLow.

Lets give the OP some links and let him read ---

Shorai FAQ

Turntech FAQ

Read very carefully before comparing the amperage of those 2 batteries. They are on a different scale.

They require different handling, charging, etc -- They are definitely lighter and have more cranking AMPS than regular batteries.

You are likely to find the Turntech people posting on KTMTalk -- I doubt you will ever hear from Shorai ?? I have a Shorai right now, but will likely try a turntech when/if this battery gives up.

The big thing that I see as a difference is that in cold temperatures, the battery needs to be used a little to help it warm up. Where lead-acid batteries tend to do worse with each use as they loose power and increase in resistance, these Lithium batteries get better as they are used and warm up some. On a lead-acid battery, this usually means that if it does not hit on the first button start, you are done, but on the lithium battery, it will get better ?! ( not really sure cuz mine fires up pretty quick either way ).

I originally started with a 4-cell battery from ebattonline. He went out of business last time I checked. The 4-cell was not enough for my 450 but would probably work fine for a 250-300cc motor. I would also want to know what kind of cells they are built with. According to a friend who built/researched lithium batteries for impact guns, Sony makes the best cells. If you research into the R/C world, a123 makes some of the best cells. A123 builds dewalts lithium batteries or at least did. JLow

All lithium composition batteries ( ion, polymer, iron, ect ) have at least four very distinct characteristics. They all have much higher energy density than a lead acid of comparable size or weight, they all become electrically more efficient as they warm up, the cell voltage will be approximately 3.7 volts so the overall battery voltage will be a multiple of this figure, and last and most important is that all lithium batteries have little of any internal resistance, this means that they can crank over a large displacement engine with a tiny battery, it also means that if you short the terminals they are literally explosive, the available fault current is a function of the applied voltage divided by the resistance ( or lack thereof) making for a tremendous amount of fault current.

Have had a Shorai in my 09 300 xc for about one year now, love it. Get the 210 cca and never look back, starts cold or hot.

At the local bike show I picked up a Shoria (sp?) battery and asked if it was just a display model because it felt like nothing was inside it. The guy laughed and told me "That's what everybody says" and added that in fact it was a real battery in my hand! I almost didn't believe him because it was so light! I immediately put it on my Christmas list.. ( I've been good, well sorta good... Well, not bad anyway!)