2011 or 2012 - 250SX vs 250XC

I am in the market for a new KTM 2 stroke and can't decide between the two. I will be racing 10-20 hare scrambles/cross country events including GNCC events next year.

I have narrowed down the bike search to a 2011 or 2012 250XC or 250SX. I already understand the differences between 2011 and 2012 so there is no need to list that. My question is, is it worth the extra money for an XC? I want an XC but for $800-$1,000 more, you can do many modifications to convert the SX to a woods racer. The one thing you can't do, is change the gearbox. I likely would put a larger tank on both bikes, so that is equal, 18in wheel isn't that big of deal to me. What else?

I just can't justify the difference in price. Am I missing something?

I just picked up an XC250 and was having the same dilemma as what you are having.

The E start was worth the extra few bucks alone. You think "I don't need that" but it sure is nice once its on there...

The biggest disappointment I have was the lack of explosive power the XC has in comparison with the SX. To remedy that you would spend a few benjimins on a head/ ignition. But for technical CC races.. the smooth power delivery would save some serious energy and may be an advantage.

I also opted for the XC for the gearbox. That 6th gear is gunna be awesome in the so cal deserts...

Note: I already put a hell of a dent in the 18" rear? I don't know how this happened.

ok i dont understand this. your doing harescrambles and desert races. why even think about a bike with sx transmission when you could have 6 gears perfectly suited for what your going to do?. im going to do some mud bogging and cant decide between a corvette or 4x4 truck ?

ok i dont understand this. your doing harescrambles and desert races. why even think about a bike with sx transmission when you could have 6 gears perfectly suited for what your going to do ?. im going to do some mud bogging and cant decide between a corvette or 4x4 truck :banghead:

Good one!? I agree, if your going to be racing off-road, the XC is going to be a better selection. Though you can mod the SX to work in the bush, KTM built the XC for just that reason! I have the 2012, I do prefer it over the linkless KTMs, as for power, the KTM XC makes the exact same peak HP as the SX but is made in a super smooth manner. If you like the hit, you only a ignition and a head away from a monster.

ok i dont understand this. your doing harescrambles and desert races. why even think about a bike with sx transmission when you could have 6 gears perfectly suited for what your going to do?. im going to do some mud bogging and cant decide between a corvette or 4x4 truck ?

I thought I was pretty clear on why I was undecided.

$800-$1000 premium.

If they were the same price, I would definitely get an XC. Sounds like the XC is and SX with a premium price to change the gearing.

I thought I was pretty clear on why I was undecided.

$800-$1000 premium.

If they were the same price, I would definitely get an XC. Sounds like the XC is and SX with a premium price to change the gearing.

I guess your somewhat on a correct path of logic. But the 6 speed is pretty sweet, combined with the the electric start you have more then covered the additional $800 in price.

I guess your somewhat on a correct path of logic. But the 6 speed is pretty sweet, combined with the the electric start you have more then covered the additional $800 in price.

and the large fuel tank is $250 at least...

fact is.. to make the sx a woods bike you will likely spend the 800...

The OP stated that he was going to get a larger tank then stock, SX or XC. But for the rest of us, yes, the large tank is sweet!

yeah I caught that but he keeps bringing up how the bikes are different prices... If he has to buy the large tank for the SX and not for the XC; doesn't that even the price out that much more?

EDIT: oops I see that he was planning on replacing the tanks on BOTH bikes!!! I didn't realize the XC tank wasn't big enough.

yeah I caught that but he keeps bringing up how the bikes are different prices... If he has to buy the large tank for the SX and not for the XC; doesn't that even the price out that much more?

Not really, he is going to buy a larger tank then the stock XC tank anyway so it wouldnt matter which bike.

how do you make a sx into 6spd for $800 is what i want to know :lol:/ go on the ktm site and brush up on the difference of each bike. thats what i would do anyways if i were undecided. but theres nothing to decide really. sx would suck balls for a desert race

I will be racing GNCC races, not desert racing. That is why the 6 speed is not AS important. As far as I know, you can't convert it to for $800.

If I was to get the SX, I would would settle for the 5 speed.

sx pulls like a 300 and revs out like a 25o, that sx is a animal compared to the xc imo. the electric starters a pita and take a good amount of work to keep them going (but worth it) imo. the gas tank well you might be able to sell the sx tank for a 100 bucks then get a clockwork tank for 250 only costing you a 100 bucks. suspension your gonna have to get done on either bike. . So I say get a 300 ha ha:lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi there, just a quick shot in the dark here:

I am looking to get a KTM 250xc but can't afford one, since they ask US $12000 for them here in Peru!

But I can get a good condition 2007 250SX. I do a lot of really tight, steep, rocky and often slippery trails. But I want to do a bit of motocross as well. I current ride a 2011 FE570. It's a great bike, but just a bit to heavy for me to manhandle up in the mountains. And although it has the power for motocross, it just isn't made for it (too heavy and sprung too soft). And finally I just miss riding a two-stroke.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to change the gearbox of the SX to that of an xc or xc-w? That would then seem to me to be the perfect bike. Although I might have to do something to the power delivery, maybe a heavier flywheel and stiffer exhaust valve springs?

Anyone with some experience in this out there? I am not sure what sort of cash one would need to lay out for a gearbox change, or if it is even possible. I would reallly appreciate some adive.

guroux

Ditto on the SX, I've offroad raced a 10', 11' and 12' 250sx in the midwest, all needed is a tank, valving front and rear, 47t rear sproket an EXP-Core and you have a light weight woods weapon, I don't see a gearing issue for any GNCC, Enduro or any summer racing east of the rockys.

The Xc tank is only 2.7 so if you need larger it will be close to a wash, and no one at this time makes a side stand for the new SX, AND if you ride into the winter and prefer hand warmers you'd have to swap out to an older XC stator.

I agree with the last few posts. If you are just racing, the 6th gear or electric start isnt as important. But if this is your only motorcycle and you plan on doing any off-road adventures, fire roads etc. etc. then the 6th gear and electric start are going to be a big plus because the bike is only an extra $1000 for the XC. The one thing that people seem to over look is the XC is designed exactly for what the OP wants! That is why KTM built the XC line. The power is more mellow, the oversized tank, the 18" inch wheel and electric start. The idea behind this is so that you can ride faster for longer while not expelling extra energy. The SX will work perfectly fine for what your wanting to do, youll just need to do some work to it! The XC will do it as perfectly if not better.

What I don't understand though is......the larger gas tank? If your doing gncc races you will need to make at least one pit stop during the event. If you get a larger tank then the XC, and put it on a SX, the added weight will be kinda counter productive. If your really a fast rider, you know this already and you would be going somewhat backwards. But if your slower, a larger tank will last the full race so no need for a pit stop then but then the weight of the XC would be less noticeable due to your skill level!? Just my thoughts!

Also, the XC will hold its value better then the SX. You will be able to sell it for the $1000 more then the SX. All in all, the XC is a better deal!

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf