Sign in to follow this  

New chain and Sprocket time

Hi guys its time to replace the chain and sprocket's on my wife and daughter's

2009 150r honda whats a good chain to go with on these bikes.

Going to go with steel sprocket's unless you guys say no.

On my bike bikes I always go steel and o-ring chain but do not know about the little bikes what do I need.

Ron.

I did a steel sprocket and a Rocky mtn. chain special. Its just fine. I dont remember the brand off hand. Not a o ring chain. It was there house brand or something.

My last chain I put on was a Renthal R1 Works Gold chain. I got a pretty good deal on it and decided to try it out. I put it on before our first ride this spring and only had to adjust it a couple times over the summer. Seems to be holding up just fine. And, I'll probably get crucified by some on here for doing this, but I have not lubed the chain one time since it was new. I use WD 40 after I wash it, and WD 40 it again right before I ride. Every month or so I take it off and soak it in diesel, put it back on and run it.

Well, sounds like you DO in fact lube it.

I've also heard steel sprockets are better BUT only on the bigger more powerful bikes (250 2t and 450 4t) so honestly for the 150 and smallers aluminum should be fine.

Well, sounds like you DO in fact lube it.

I've also heard steel sprockets are better BUT only on the bigger more powerful bikes (250 2t and 450 4t) so honestly for the 150 and smallers aluminum should be fine.

Yes, I believe it is lubing it as well, but didn't want to start the "WD 40 is not a lubricant" war again. Seen it play out way too many times on TT. :lol:

I also agree on the aluminum sprocket being just fine on these smaller bikes, and steel will be just fine as well. Just a matter of preference I think.

Yep. If you go aluminum, just be prepared to change more often. Steel is down for the long haul. That's more the mentality for the bigger bikes though.

Thanks for all the info guys I went with the steel sprocket and a Rocky mtn. chain special

Total cost was under 85.00 for both bikes.

So I think that's a great deal heck I payed over 70.00 for my O ring chain for my new ktm.

Ron.

Yea they were like 41.99 each on sale last night.

Now they are back to 44.99 still a great deal at that price :lol:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=8651&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=123&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=9638

Maybe it was because they were for the smaller bikes?? Anything name brand for my 250 has been $130 and up I believe. I'll have to check them out though.