Sign in to follow this  

Washington Discovery Pass fund theft bill – SB5979

Senators Honeyford, Morton, Delvin, Becker and Schoesler have introduced legislation that would divert 70 percent of the Discover Pass funding going to the DNR and instead of using it for recreation, give it to the trust beneficiaries.

See link to SB5979

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5979&year=2011

This would lower the DNR recreation portion of the $30 pass from $2.40 to 72 cents.

Tod

These are E. Washington politicians, maybe there trying to preserve some DNR funds from state parks? I don't know, but there has to be something behind this:excuseme:

E-Mail sent;

Regarding SB5979-2011-12. What is behind this bill? As an ORV enthusiast I have spend plenty of money buying ORV tabs, parking passes, day use passes and now the new Discovery pass, I even use to volunteer 100+ hrs per year on DNR managed lands before the Discovery Pass was enacted, just so that I can take my kids out and enjoy my time with them. I am now reading a new bill that will divert 70% of the new Discovery Pass funds to a "beneficiaries of state lands". I am very curious as to why you are looking at doing this as I have seen the NOVA funds raided in the past.

what is a "trust beneficiary"?

There are more, but here is the quick list of a few:

Common Schools

Agricultural School Trust

Scientific School Trust

Normal School Trust

University-Original Trust

University-Transfer Trust

Charitable, Educational, Penal and Reformatory Institutions Trust

Capitol Building Trust

When you include the service fee, your $35 d-pass will send a massive two percent towards the DNR and legally none of that has to be spent on facilitating motorized recreation.

Important to note that Senators Becker and Schoesler voted for the d-pass and now sponsor legislation to gut the DNR portion which is the only part that might have benefited ORV users.

There are more, but here is the quick list of a few:

Common Schools

Agricultural School Trust

Scientific School Trust

Normal School Trust

University-Original Trust

University-Transfer Trust

Charitable, Educational, Penal and Reformatory Institutions Trust

Capitol Building Trust

in other words...Black hole of goverment

Instead of logging the land, like they are supposed to for these beneficiaries...they will take your recreation money instead.

Stop buyin them, starve the beast, it's the only way.

the speed in which they did this is impressive. I am surprised the funding even lasted this long.

Does this bill have any chance of actually passing?

This doesn't bode well for the government wanting more user supported funding activity.

What the F-ck is wrong with these elected people. It seems everything they do has some other motive and they seem to be thinking five steps ahead of everyone. Somehow, I am sure, in some round about way this money will be gioing to something that benifits them and not ORV users.

It's all such a shame. 98% of the people I know would be ashamed to associate with these type of people.

In less than half a year after the d-pass goes into effect they are already proposing to raid the funds.

Let your State Senator know what you think of this plan!

If you don't know who they are or how to contact them, go to:

www.leg.wa.gov

In less than half a year after the d-pass goes into effect they are already proposing to raid the funds.

]

I am shocked and dismayed, I would never have seen that coming!:lol:

Important to note that Senators Becker and Schoesler voted for the d-pass and now sponsor legislation to gut the DNR portion which is the only part that might have benefited ORV users.

You might want to ask them why they are sponsoring legislation (SB5979) to rob the program that they voted for less than a year ago.

Email address:

becker.randi@leg.wa.gov

schoesler.mark@leg.wa.gov

So now that there is no funding left for us, I'm certain they will come and tell us we need a user fee to "pay our way", it happened when they raided the NOVA funds after we agreed to raise ORV fees, then they came up with a discover pass, now that its been raided, I wonder what our next pass will be called?

So now that there is no funding left for us, I'm certain they will come and tell us we need a user fee to "pay our way", it happened when they raided the NOVA funds after we agreed to raise ORV fees, then they came up with a discover pass, now that its been raided, I wonder what our next pass will be called?

That is the point that I am raising.

We should be able to beat this one into the ground if we work it.