Sign in to follow this  

Wheels!

My wheels are starting to look like mobius strips...

So as a holiday gift to myself, I'd like to get some new wheels for my 2010. The problem I am having is that there are just so many options to wade through, so I'd love to hear some opinions.

For complete wheel sets I have it kind of boiled down to:

(Make | Approx MSRP)

DNA | $500-580

Excel | $1300-1400

Factory Effex | $1200

ProWheel | $900-1000

Rad Mfg | $800-900

Warp9 | $765

And then there's always the option of just getting rims and spokes and lacing/truing it myself utilizing the stock hub, but I've never done it before and I am not sure of the pros/cons of this approach either. I am pretty sure I can use previous posts on the subject and walk myself through lacing & truing, but I would love some thoughts on if the stock hub and spoke pattern are worth sinking money into or if replacing them altogether would be worthwhile.

Again opinions & advice are appreciated. I am really looking for an economical solution, but at the same time I need something that won't fall apart or go out of round the first ride out. With that being said, at this point I am leaning towards Rad Mfg, esp since they currently have a holiday special and seem to have the most reasonable balance in reputation and value... In any case, thanks in advance!

check out *********.com great prices and service just bought set of wheels myself from them thru my dealership

Some great finds, thanks guys.

For the Talon wheel sets... in the past I have always run Talon hubs with Excel rims... Anyone have experience with the Talon T3 rims? A basic google search yielded limited opinions.

Only thing I hate about Talon is that I hate supporting those darned red coats. =þ

$1,400 for a set of wheels ?

Is there not better things you could buy ?

Them DNA and Warp9 seem a reasonable price to pay for wheels, 1400$ is crazy unless your racing high level don't you think ?

$1,400 for a set of wheels ?

Is there not better things you could buy ?

Them DNA and Warp9 seem a reasonable price to pay for wheels, 1400$ is crazy unless your racing high level don't you think ?

I am a big believer in buying nice or buying twice. With that being said I also recognize that there is a point where you cross the line of optimal utility into the realm of the "gear-queer".

I have a limited set of experience with aftermarket wheels, and like you pointed out there is a huge disparity in available options, so that's the point of this thread: to hopefully sort out where that optimal point of utility and value is.

What kind of riding are you doing that you're beating them up so bad? I ride moto and have for years. I ride some really rough tracks too and have never wasted a wheel.

What kind of riding are you doing that you're beating them up so bad? I ride moto and have for years. I ride some really rough tracks too and have never wasted a wheel.

Most of the tracks and OHV areas in SoCal.

Admittedly I could have probably stepped up the truing interval for these wheels to extend their life a bit, but even that wouldn't have prevented the flat spots which showed up by the first or second oil change... But starting at a new job combined with all the great weather... I got lazy. :bonk:

Having a couple of ill-timed flats this year didn't help them either...

It's really only the front that is out of round and the spokes are past the point of no return, but I'm just trying to keep my options open since I hate throwing good money after bad.

tc hubs with excel rims all oem spokes nipples and bearings will work. They are stronger and as light as oem hubs.

There are alot of big teams use these. Call KSR wheels they are around $1000 bucks.

I 2nd the poster that stated buy cheap buy twice. I have been there and done that. I have excel and talon on both of my race bikes, but I am building another bike and it will be this wheel set up.

Checking your wheels for loose spokes is pretty easy and fast it's way less work than changing oil or an air filter by far that is just laziness!

tc hubs with excel rims all oem spokes nipples and bearings will work. They are stronger and as light as oem hubs.

There are alot of big teams use these. Call KSR wheels they are around $1000 bucks.

I 2nd the poster that stated buy cheap buy twice. I have been there and done that. I have excel and talon on both of my race bikes, but I am building another bike and it will be this wheel set up.

Checking your wheels for loose spokes is pretty easy and fast it's way less work than changing oil or an air filter by far that is just laziness!

+1

Thanks for the heads up on KSR having the deal on TCR. I priced them out earlier last week and the cheapest I could source them was like $1200.

The Talon T3 hub isn't the same as the normal/original Talon hub.

It's a way cheaper version, offered as an complete set directly from Talon.

Anyway it's not a bad set of wheels.

But I would definitively go for set of Excel or DID DirtStar rims with Talon

or Kite hubs... Heard a lot of things about KSR and Dubya USA!

Edited by Markus_123