Sign in to follow this  

Different motor?

I have a 1991 yz250 but the engine seems to be something else, the frame is of that bike, but the engine is something completely different, and im wondering if someone can help me determine what it is, I have to numbers off of the motor just need a way to search it :lol:

What makes you think its different? Are the motor mounts on the frame been cut off and welded back on in slightly different positions?

Can you get the motor identification number?

I bought a new gasket kit for the bike, and its completely different, and every part ive gotten for this bike has needed to be modified for it to work

the number that was on the motor was: 24y-004911

Well doing a search on a parts fiche for 24Y turns up mainly the '83 yz250K. There are a few parts it shared with different year engines throughout the 80's from what I can tell.

The '91 engine shows up with 3XK and 2MV part numbers for the most part.

It is possible the engine from both years have the same mounting locations or somebody modified the frame to accept the 83 engine.

I have a 1991 yz250 but the engine seems to be something else, the frame is of that bike, but the engine is something completely different, and im wondering if someone can help me determine what it is, I have to numbers off of the motor just need a way to search it

Yep it's an 83 engine...The things people do.....:lol: