Sign in to follow this  

1990 ktm 250 dxc

Does anyone know anything about these? I'm really interested in adding a headlight. I don't know if it's even worth the effort. I haven't been able obtain any info on the stator output. I don't know if this something that can be checked, without tearing apart the bike. It's a great old "woods" bike, but a headlight would be nice. I explored other lighting options, helmet mounted, etc. It would be nice to know one way or another, if a headlight is realistic. There isn't anywhere on the bike to mount a battery.

alot of them old ktm had light capabilities in the stator. i would suspect yours does also. couldnt tell you the exact output. mine are 130w according to the manual. check under the seat/gas take area. probly some extra wires

alot of them old ktm had light capabilities in the stator. i would suspect yours does also. couldnt tell you the exact output. mine are 130w according to the manual. check under the seat/gas take area. probly some extra wires

I'll do just that. I have all the body work off, doing some maint. The tank is about 5 min. away from off...The "D" in DXC does stand for desert. One can only assume it would have some lighting capability. Thanks for the tip.

exc had lights. mxc had a lighting stator but no lights but you could easily just put a light on it because all the wires are there under the gas tank. could be wrong but im thinking dxc was same thing as exc but they dropped the dxc name sometime in the early ninties

look on a parts fish if you can. probly need a voltage regulator also if you dont already have one. usually they bolt under the tank near the extra wires. thats where mine was anyways

exc had lights. mxc had a lighting stator but no lights but you could easily just put a light on it because all the wires are there under the gas tank. could be wrong but im thinking dxc was same thing as exc but they dropped the dxc name sometime in the early ninties

I pulled off the tank. There are the wires that go to the ignition, and 2 more, that go nowhere. 2 yellow wires, with what appear to be factory installed connections. I have a voltage tester, so I'll hit the ground running. Thank you, for the insight. I really appreciate it. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll have it all put together with a headlight.

should get a manual for the wiring diagram unless you think you can figure it out. its unlikely the diagram i have is the same for yours but for me the 2 wires go to on/off switch, headlight and regulator.

should get a manual for the wiring diagram unless you think you can figure it out. its unlikely the diagram i have is the same for yours but for me the 2 wires go to on/off switch, headlight and regulator.

I found a wiring diagram for '94 exc. Pretty simple. It seems, my bike is missing a regulator. After that, I believe this project to be pretty simple. I am wondering...Are regulators make-model specific? KTMcycleHutt show one part number covering several years & models. Something else to research, before I start messing with things I'm not sure of...Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

this is probly the one you need. even has the harness and everything http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-KTM-250-300-EXC-SX-Parts-Voltage-Regulator-/130561766433?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e66167421

probly a headlight assembly on ebay also

Very nice. I found another one, on E-bay as well. I have one more option here, locally. I found a guy(older), by reputation, who's supposed to be able to answer all my questions. Rumor has it, he lived and breathed these things, once upon a time. I did purchase 2 items off e-bay for my machine. A regulator w/harness. Stock seat. Your assistance has been great...

Thank You, Bill