Sign in to follow this  

03 CR250 Good Woods Bike?

I currently have a WR450 that I have plated for trails. It was a blast in CO last summer but is a bit of a beast in the tight stuff. Lately I've been thinking about something lighter to throw around in the woods. I ride sandy single track and rocky atv trails.

I've got a buddy that has an '03 CR250 for sale. Does it make a good woods bike without a lot of effort? I know a good suspension is worth the effort and money so that will eventually get upgraded, just not right away. Btw, I'm almost 53 and have been riding in the dirt for about a year and a half. Lots of street riding miles before that but I've been having a blast in the dirt. My street bike now sits and I have sold my road/track sportbike. I'd like to run a couple of local cross country races just to have fun this next year. No mx for me either.

Any thoughts about pros & cons of the CR250 for the woods?

Thanks in advance....

You should go and ride the 03. It is going to seem really rough, jerky, jumpy basically raw compaired to the WR. I have frends with WR450s and when they ride my 02 they wonder how i can ride the thing. Their WRs are smooth and cushy and east to ride. The 02 is defenetly harder to ride but WAY more fun. While the stiff suspension does beat you up, when you hit something faster/harder then you should, it sure is nice to have the bike soak it up. I vote for fun to ride over easy to ride. The 03 will be much more nimble in the handling department, but the power delivery will take some getting used to.

Thanks for the input. I've ridden a buddy's '04 exc250 in the tight stuff and it was different from what I've been used to. He didn't have it tuned for much of a hit though. It's a woods bike I know but it was much more fun than my wr. It also had a rekluse which really made it different from what I am used to.

I am used to lugging my wr and letting the motor do it's thing down low. Not having any engine braking on the 2 st was very different as well. I think I'm going to like it overall though.

Thanks again. :lol:

Definitely a good bike for the woods.. throw on vforce3 reeds, fmf gnarly pipe, 11 or 12 ounce flywheel weight, 13/51 gearing, soften up the suspension and ur good to go.. have fun!:lol:

They are very fun woods bikes. Just lots of grins riding two strokes in the woods. I have a YZ250F too that collects dust now. :)

CR250 motor '03 has very electric power delivery for two stroke which makes it great for woods riding. :lol:

I love my '02 CR2 for the woods. They really don't need more than the usual guards to work pretty well, though doing the suspension will make a world of difference as it does on any bike. The best bang for my buck (after suspension) have been the Rekluse Pro-Z and the Keihin PWK Airstriker carb, for gearing I've been real happy with 13/49, decent for tight stuff without killing MPH for faster XC stuff. As mentioned, the CR has a very linear easy to use motor, and the handling, braking & ergonomics are second to none.

I am used to lugging my wr and letting the motor do it's thing down low. Not having any engine braking on the 2 st was very different as well. I think I'm going to like it overall though.

Thanks again. :lol:

YOu can lug the CR250 down low too...you have to set it up first.

1) 36mm pwk carb w/ a straight taper needle

2) 10oz flywheel weight or Z-pro auto clutch:thumbsup:

3) 13:50 or 13:51 gearing

Stock pipe is still the best for the CR2, but if you want to change it, the Gnarly pipe complements the 36mm pwk nicely. And, though not necessary, these two things adds icing on the cake> Boyesen RAD valve & G2 throttle cam.

Now would you like to hear from someone that doesn't own a cr250 but have owned and ridden many 2 stroke mx bikes in the woods? The mx bikes in the woods will be much lighter and nimble than your wr but lug like your wr they will not do without modifications of at least a big FWW and gearing, by they way I owned a wr400 so I have a little experience with them. Autoclutches will not allow lugging either, yet some people confuse clutch slipping with lugging. The 2 stroke mxer will not climb as good as your wr do to the lack of torque, not that they will not climb but they climb different spinning the tire and on the pipe vs the 4 stroke torque. The ktm250exc is also a different animal to a 250mx bike, the have much more a of 4 stroke smooth torquey feel than any mx 250, I had a 250 and 300 exc and they were very mellow motors. As for the CR I have never owned one but my friend has an 04 cr250 and said the motor had no low end. He said it was like a light switch, it would come on super slow and then hit the mid range and take off like a bat out of hell and then sign off rather quickly. He was going to look for a gnarly pipe to shift the power down lower but not sure if he got one yet. I'm not saying you will not be happy with one, as I would personally prefer a 250 mxer over a wr450 but be prepared as it is an entirely different riding style that keeps you more on your toes.

Believe I said it earlier but if not:

CR250 motor is most electric-like tractible motor amongst the big four MX bikes. If you haven't owned/ridden one give it a shot. Not gonna say it's a tame motor like a EXC - rather it's somewhere between "light switch" (when setup/jetted right) and the docile motor of the EXC.

However, you can spend alot more money on bikes that are "better" for the woods if you like.

Believe I said it earlier but if not:

CR250 motor is most electric-like tractible motor amongst the big four MX bikes. If you haven't owned/ridden one give it a shot. Not gonna say it's a tame motor like a EXC - rather it's somewhere between "light switch" (when setup/jetted right) and the docile motor of the EXC.

However, you can spend alot more money on bikes that are "better" for the woods if you like.

Most electric-like tractible motor translates to lack of low end IMO. My friend I referred to is a die hard Honda rider that has ridden Honda bikes for 25+ years and he said the power band on this bike was terrible in the woods. Like I said I have not ridden it but I believe what he says. He prefers to ride his 2004 CRF250 or his 04' yz250 2t over the Honda until he can get the motor working better for the trees. Don't want to upset the red riders here just trying to give a fellow blue rider my non-bias opinion.:lol:

Most electric-like tractible motor translates to lack of low end IMO. My friend I referred to is a die hard Honda rider that has ridden Honda bikes for 25+ years and he said the power band on this bike was terrible in the woods. Like I said I have not ridden it but I believe what he says. He prefers to ride his 2004 CRF250 or his 04' yz250 2t over the Honda until he can get the motor working better for the trees. Don't want to upset the red riders here just trying to give a fellow blue rider my non-bias opinion.:lol:

Biased? Whom do I owe allegiance to? No doubt a YZ250 has better low end power but it doesn't have effective brakes and doesn't turn as well. CR is lighter too.

You can buy a YZ for same cost as CR and have better low end. That's a fact but how much low end power/snap do you need in the woods? Brakes and handling are more important to me.

There's adequate low end power hidden in the CR motor. Extensive mods not required. Again, if you think the YZ is better - OK then. Neither are "better". Depends on what you prefer. :)

Biased? Whom do I owe allegiance to? No doubt a YZ250 has better low end power but it doesn't have effective brakes and doesn't turn as well. CR is lighter too.

You can buy a YZ for same cost as CR and have better low end. That's a fact but how much low end power/snap do you need in the woods? Brakes and handling are more important to me.

There's adequate low end power hidden in the CR motor. Extensive mods not required. Again, if you think the YZ is better - OK then. Neither are "better". Depends on what you prefer. :)

Woah, easy there don't get your panties in a bunch.:banghead: This is the Honda 2 stroke forum and therefore the responses are going to be bias towards the Honda 2 strokes IMO, If not sorry but I have not seen one post stating anything but. I don't believe I ever siad a yz was better, I said my friend prefers his 04' CRF250 and his 04' yz250 better than his cr250 because they produce much better low end. Most woods riders I know including myself prefer more low end power on their woods bikes, hell have you seen a ktm, Husky, or husaberg that doesn't have a low end type motor? Probably not because they are purpose built woods bike, just like the OP's WR450 is. Brakes and handling are in important but not as much as in motocross where the speeds are much higher.:lol:

I've owned three YZ250 two strokes (03/04/07) and set them up each slightly differently. I also own a YZ250F. Not a Yamaha H8R. You do not own a CR250 but tell us they're poor for woods riding.

Which input has more value? From those who have owned/do own said bikes in question or from those who hear second hand from their buddy that their CR250 is a dog? What is your buddy doing to improve this dogged CR? Seems he might like his CR if he's willing to spend coin on it.

It's like me wandering into a GasGas forum and telling somebody to buy a CR250 instead even though I've never owned a GasGas. :lol:

• Like 1

I've owned three YZ250 two strokes (03/04/07) and set them up each slightly differently. I also own a YZ250F. Not a Yamaha H8R. You do not own a CR250 but tell us they're poor for woods riding.

Which input has more value? From those who have owned/do own said bikes in question or from those who hear second hand from their buddy that their CR250 is a dog? What is your buddy doing to improve this dogged CR? Seems he might like his CR if he's willing to spend coin on it.

It's like me wandering into a GasGas forum and telling somebody to buy a CR250 instead even though I've never owned a GasGas. :cheers:

Ok this is my last post because you just want to argue and twist my comments into negative remarks.:smirk: I never said your bike was a dog or that it is a poor machine for woods riding yet you continue to say I do.:) I simply said my friend said the motor on his cr250 2 stroke was lacking in the low end compared to his other bikes and I told you he was looking to get a gnarly pipe for it to help shift the power down low. He is a 58 year old man that has been riding dirt bikes for almost as long as I have been alive and he has very good knowledge on what a woods bike needs in the motor department so I'm taking his word for it. If you notice everyone that has posted said to add a carb, reed blocks, FWW, etc, etc, if the motor is that great then why add all of this stuff.:lol: From what I've HEARD from a realiable source the box stock motor on this bike doesn't produce a lot of low end and and signs off early, nothing more. OP just my $.02 on the subject, take it for what it's worth. Appearantly nothing according to shrubitup.....:banghead:

I think it's pretty biased if you haven't ridden a honda. I don't understand how " electric like tractible motor translates to lack of low end". Usually that goes especially with smooth torquey easy to ride bikes with a bunch of low end. Of course your friend hasn't set up his honda for trail right yet . Some bikes are better with certain setups better than others but I believe all the 2 stroke 250's for the last 10 yrs or so can be set up pretty easily for trail... Some are easier and work a bit better motor or suspension wise than others... . YZs have pretty good low end. My 01 cr 250 has a lot of low end and is a very good trail bike. I know the 01 and earlier are better low end wise but the 02 and up cr's can work fine also... I see them in some gnarly trails and ridden some locally so I know they work .

I think it's pretty biased if you haven't ridden a honda. I don't understand how " electric like tractible motor translates to lack of low end". Usually that goes especially with smooth torquey easy to ride bikes with a bunch of low end. Of course your friend hasn't set up his honda for trail right yet . Some bikes are better with certain setups better than others but I believe all the 2 stroke 250's for the last 10 yrs or so can be set up pretty easily for trail... Some are easier and work a bit better motor or suspension wise than others... . YZs have pretty good low end. My 01 cr 250 has a lot of low end and is a very good trail bike. I know the 01 and earlier are better low end wise but the 02 and up cr's can work fine also... I see them in some gnarly trails and ridden some locally so I know they work .

You guys do realize the OP is coming from a WR450, which is a heavy trail oriented 4 stroke. As I said in my first post any of the 250 2 stroke mxer's are going to be a lot different than what he is currently riding, yz, cr, rm, whatever. As stated in my 1st post I have not ridden a current cr250 but I have owned many other 250 2 stroke mx bikes and that is what my comparisons come from. I was only relaying my friends experience with his cr250 because as you keep saying I don't own one. You guys just turned this into me bashing cr250's and that really is not the case. I'm glad you like your bike and I have no problem with it. I'm just telling the OP with my experience of 250 2 stroke mxer's that there will be a big different between his wr (which I prevouisly owned) and let say ANY 250 2 stroke. Is that better?????? Geeze! Oh for the record I did ride a 98 CR250 and that thing rode like a rock. But for all of you knowedgable cr owners know the early generation aluminum framed models had a reputation for being a rough ride.:lol:

Hey Hurricane,

Thanks for dropping by and sorry for jumping your shit. :)

Ride on. :lol:

No biggie I was just trying to give the OP a comparison of WR450 to a bad ass 250 2 stroke, any brand because they are all fast. I still believe for woods racing nothing is better than a 250 2 stroke (any brand). I don't race enduros anymore so that's why I have a yz450 now. Sorry if I came across dissing a cr250 but that was never my intention.

dont buy the bike unless you plan on riding motocross. a cr250 is a race machine and needs to be ridden like one

The 03 makes a Great woods bike when modded as such. Stock out of the box I would say No. +1 to whoever said Suspension, PWK, head mods, Rekluse, FWW, Reeds, & Pipe.

If you are not willing to do all the mods for woods then go get whatever bike it may be...Pick your favorite color , fastest, coolest bike & Tell everyone it's the best Dirtbike ever.

dont buy the bike unless you plan on riding motocross. a cr250 is a race machine and needs to be ridden like one

.......I hope your kidding, that's a crazy Retard Remark.