Sign in to follow this  

Bike only starts in 2nd position choke

My bike sat for two months and now only starts in 2nd choke. Should I spray carb cleaner in carb where air filter is?

My bike sat for two months and now only starts in 2nd choke. Should I spray carb cleaner in carb where air filter is?

Will it idle without the choke?

I guess I should have been more clear on my post, but I was posting from a cell phone. :lol:

The bike only starts and idles in 2nd position choke, not first or without choke. I am looking for a quick fix to get it up and running, I can't service it right now nor do I want to disassemble it. I added some carb cleaner to the fuel and last night I removed the filter and sprayed carb cleaner while idling in the 2nd choke position.

yeah ... use compressed air to clear out the pilot jet circuit

Can I do that without removing the carb? I don't have the time or ability to do that.

Partially plugged pilot jet is most likely the culprit. You can try the carb cleaner but the only way to make sure its clean is to pull the carb.

I was able to spray cleaner again into carb (with air filter removed) and rev the bike while in the second position. Then I began riding the bike carefully in the second choke position which I think loosed anything that was clogged. It bogged a bit but eventually I was able to ride it at 20mph then drop to 1st position, continue ride it, then no choke and it idled correctly. I also put some fresh gas in the previous night, so I think I am good but I do need to have my carb cleaned and probably jetted as it back fires a bit on engine braking.

Thanks all

The pilot jet is still partly pluged, don't let it set long (many days) or it will plug agian very fast. when you have it apart replace the pilot jet.

I'll be completely re-jetting this weekend after a long layoff. I've read/heard some good things about StarTron additive so I'll spring for some in case I can't ride as often as I want.

I wouldn't mix carb cleaner with my gas, but that's just me. Pull the carb... It's not difficult and we are all here if you need. It's surprisingly easier than you think to work on / clean a carb. It's just the getting it on and off part that takes a little finesse.

I was able to spray cleaner again into carb (with air filter removed) and rev the bike while in the second position. Then I began riding the bike carefully in the second choke position which I think loosed anything that was clogged. It bogged a bit but eventually I was able to ride it at 20mph then drop to 1st position, continue ride it, then no choke and it idled correctly. I also put some fresh gas in the previous night, so I think I am good but I do need to have my carb cleaned and probably jetted as it back fires a bit on engine braking.

Thanks all

Good to see you are on the road again but you have only done a band aid fix....As you mentioned ,removal and proper cleaning , jet replacement should be done ASAP...It would be a good time to install a JD jet kit if not already fitted...