Sign in to follow this  

Metal slide bushing stuck!

Hi guys I was doing a seal replacement on my brothers 07 ttr-230 and when "hammer sliding" the inner fork tube out of the outer tube the inner tube slide bushing slid through the outer tube slide bushing. Now its stuck in there :) See photos...

IMG_0517.jpg

^^^^^This is the slide I need removed^^^^^

IMG_0518.jpg

^^^^^This is the slide that slipped through, used to "hammer" out the other slide^^^^^^

I was hoping you guys could give me suggestions on how to remove it. I don't mind damaging the bushing as I have another. There is no way from hitting it from behind because there is only a bolt sized hole in the other end of the tube.

Thanks, and hopefully you can help me out...:lol:

if you can get your hands on a slide hammer that would work but you'll have to be really careful. I'd put tape on the tips of the puller teeth so you don't scratch your tube.

try freezing it over night.the metal bushing may contract more than the aluminum tube.or try heating the outside of the tube with a torch to expand the tube.

i,ve not tried both together but i thought about freezing and then quicky heating the outer tube with a torch to expand the tube .i would also make some pulling tools out of hard wood.just cut a notch in a hardwood dowel to hook under the bushing(if there is a shoulder.another option is to use a dremel cut off wheel and carefully cut through the bushing in 2 places,it,ll fall right out.careful not to cut into the fork tube.

If the bushing is the correct size, a bit of heat to the outer part of the fork tube where the bushing sits, should do the trick.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! If I use the heating up method will the bushing fall out or will I still need to pry it out some how?

Cheers

you'll still have to pry it out. I would go down and buy a long wooden dowel and stand the tube up and drive it out with the wooden dowel. get a hardwood one if available.

if you heat the fork leg, you should be able to get the bushing out by gently hitting the fork tube on a piece of wood on the ground. Like youre trying to get the last bit of ketchup out of the bottle....

Great, ill try heating it up when i buy more gas for my butane torch.

There would be no way of driving it out with dowel because the end of the fork tube is not open and also the bushing sits on a little lip so i cannot be pushed down.

If the heating method will not work ill try with a dremel like cutter to gently cut two little slits half way through the bushing and bend it out with a little screw driver.

Cheers again :lol:

I've had this problem once before and I can't remember exactly what I did. It was something close to inserting the chrome tube w/inner bushing into the top of the outer tube to get the outer bushing out. Maybe try putting a little tape under where the inner bushing rests to enlarge it.