Sign in to follow this  

Rmz hour meter

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and just wanted to know if anyone knows how to put a hour meter on my 2012 rmz250?? It doesn't have a normal spark plug lead like older bikes. it's just got 2 thin wires that go to a plug, that goes to the spark plug. sorry I dont know how to really explain it,but any help would be great.

heheh, new to the four strokes? that "plug" can be pulled out. that's where the coil is located (see item 6 in the figure) you have to wrap the hour meters wire around this, but take care! this caused the plug to come loose while riding. i wrapped the wire above the cap, between the connector and lip about 5 times and wrapped it with electrical tape, works fine.

39863_RMZ250L1E03E28022.gif

hey! im missing the plug retainer #7 on my bike, WTH?!! i guess you learn something everyday...lol, also i would highly recommend that you use a 20w-50 oil in the motor to help prolong the tranny and improve shifting efficiency...

Thanks mate. And no not new to 4 strokes just never installed an hour meter before

hey! im missing the plug retainer #7 on my bike, WTH?!! i guess you learn something everyday...lol, also i would highly recommend that you use a 20w-50 oil in the motor to help prolong the tranny and improve shifting efficiency...

My 10 had the plug retainer but 11 doesn't. Probably trying to save weight lol.

My 10 had the plug retainer but 11 doesn't. Probably trying to save weight lol.

yeah what the heck is going on? i never remember it being there from new...

heheh, new to the four strokes? that "plug" can be pulled out. that's where the coil is located (see item 6 in the figure) you have to wrap the hour meters wire around this, but take care! this caused the plug to come loose while riding. i wrapped the wire above the cap, between the connector and lip about 5 times and wrapped it with electrical tape, works fine.

39863_RMZ250L1E03E28022.gif

I'm not clear on where you hooked your wire up. between connector and lip? sounds like a better place than down inside.

kinda hard to describe but ill try my best to draw it out in ms paint hehe. basically i wind it above the cap but between the connector and flange (red wire in the pic below)

bikepics-2313058-full.jpg

now i dont know if the coil extends up that far, but eitherway ive been getting readings on the meter

kinda hard to describe but ill try my best to draw it out in ms paint hehe. basically i wind it above the cap but between the connector and flange (red wire in the pic below)

bikepics-2313058-full.jpg

now i dont know if the coil extends up that far, but eitherway ive been getting readings on the meter

:thumbsup:thanks man

no problem... i used to have it wired below the cap before and it didnt seal properly, letting all kinds of dirt get in. plus the cap would come loose and the bike would cut-out, so i tried her in the position shown above and it registered, so i kept it like that and have had no problems. just remember to wrap it in electrical tape so it doesnt unwind itself

• Like 1

no problem... i used to have it wired below the cap before and it didnt seal properly, letting all kinds of dirt get in. plus the cap would come loose and the bike would cut-out, so i tried her in the position shown above and it registered, so i kept it like that and have had no problems. just remember to wrap it in electrical tape so it doesnt unwind itself

:lol:

My works connection meter wouldnt work where you currently have it. I had to go under the cap into the head where you originally had it. It was a pain in the ass. If it doesnt work above the cap there are other threads in here with pics. I drilled a little hole in the flange that seals up the hole and tried to do it neatly as possible and then extended the cap with RTV. it took some time but sealed up. I know others had this issue too. Good luck

My works connection meter wouldnt work where you currently have it. I had to go under the cap into the head where you originally had it. It was a pain in the ass. If it doesnt work above the cap there are other threads in here with pics. I drilled a little hole in the flange that seals up the hole and tried to do it neatly as possible and then extended the cap with RTV. it took some time but sealed up. I know others had this issue too. Good luck

that's how I did it last year. I think it was you that said how to do it. I'm going to try this method to see if it works.

I did mine today and what a pain in the ass. I tried everything from even wrapping the wire directly. Only way it works is under the cap. Mine is in for now but gonna try the hole method. You would think someone would make a plug to go directly into the plug cap.

has anyone tried a better wire to grab the current from anywhere than under the coil?

I have hooked them up on two rmz's now and both had to have the wire run down through the rubber and around the stem.

interesting how some have not been able to get a reading with the setup i have in the pic above, next time im at the garage i will get the make of my hour meter and post it here...

I got mine from China off Ebay for 9 bucks shipped to my door. It is exactly the same model as the Hardline one. I have seen elsewhere even the ones from Works Connection ($45+) dont work above the coil.