Sign in to follow this  

new to riding dirt

so after watching some desert racing videos...i really, really want to get into riding. i commute daily on a street bike so i wont be going into riding dirt completely blind. also i've ridden pit bikes on occasion.

i was posting on the pit bike forums, because i figured i could get a mid-size pit bike for really cheap to get accustomed to dirt riding on...but i think getting a full-size bike will be more beneficial in the long run for me.

i would like AT LEAST a 230cc bike. i would also like a 4-stroke. i will be buying used, and $1500 is my limit. any bike from the 90's onward would suffice. would i be able to find a bike suitable to my price range from this time frame? also, what brand should i go for? what would be the most reliable out there on the trails? what kind of upgrade potential would i have if i get a 90's bike?

Welcome to dirt,I just purchased a 04 yz250f for $1300...it runs great!..then a week later I found a 08 yz450 for $2000 with just 50 hours.....their out there,just be patient,it took me 4 months to find the right deal,I think now is the time to buy,winter,and everyone needs Christmas $$.....good luck!

i actually changed my mind....i will go as low as a 125cc if the price is right.

are there any good full-size 125-150cc bikes good for desert riding?

you will be able to find a nice 125-250 2 stroke mx'er of any brand for between $1000-$1500 from the late 90's all the way to like 05, and probably with a few aftermarket goodies on it as well, it all just depends on how hard you look