Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket pistons!

The consent around here is that aftermarket pistons are bad but after searching for a little bit I have see that maybe this campain against the aftermarket pistons is because the average suspension builder does not have the means to engineer or produce one.

For example I have search on this forum and all the post that I have found about pro action the results is a great suspension, also I have seen good things about ride concepts and I have tested and rmz450 with RG3 smart valve and it is awsome. Some says why if they are better the oem has not change the design? well if that work that way why wp and showa goes not change to the kyb sss design!

Any thoughts?

I think it's more about the valving set ups that accompany the pistons. If it was a straight piston swap from oem to any of these aftermarket units, the suspension may be way off the mark.

I think it's more about the valving set ups that accompany the pistons. If it was a straight piston swap from oem to any of these aftermarket units, the suspension may be way off the mark.

Of course no one sells you a piston with the instructions just to installed:bonk:

Bingo :lol:

Although I do feel piston designs do have merit, But the biggest thing that I see is a cost efficiency

issue. This is a very tight industry, To design a good piston with proper materials and testing is quite a investment.

You can definitely change the shape of the damping profile by changing the port design.

But here is another thought. If you sold the ultimate shim stack configuration for the stock valve. All of the customers buddies can copy the shim stack setup for their own bikes.

Same shim stack on a custom valve is worthless on the stock piston i.e. the race tech stack tables don't help much for tuning a stock valve.

In that sense proprietary piston designs protect the shim stack and damping profile design.

Unless you have some way to scale the shim stack from one port design to another.......... :lol:

yes it's true there can be proprietary shim stacks for aftermarket pistons. however, with the race tech design, and some others, i choose my own stacks when a customer is having issues. usually, they have been getting faster, and need to have the stacks stiffened up. i don't tell someone who has spent some serious cash on the pistons to shit-can 'em; troubleshooting suspension is what a tuner does.

there have been many debates on the topic. i can't speak to the piston designs i've not tried; only the ones i have. the most important thing is knowing that suspension is very subjective. but, that doesn't mean there aren't those who have brought products to market that don't offer any performance advantages. they are out there. and, unfortunately they can give a bad rap to products that do work.

on the flip side, (no pun intended) stock revalve tuners get a bad rap from those who simply shuffle the existing shims. that gives those of us who invest in shim/suspension supplies, and spend the time required to test, the stigma of being a "shim-flipper".

it's up to the consumer to do thier product research. but, it's also important for the tuner to see you ride. just because some company is selling a package that the consumer can install, doesn't mean it's sound. it may have to be dialed in further. and, may even require a valving scheme not posted in a chart/setup sheet.