Sign in to follow this  

KTM 300 or 250

i'm getting off a crf250x and want to buy a 2 stroke KTM i have ridden a 250 and and a 300 KTM, not sure which one I want. I ride in the north east ;HS enduros and dual sports mostly HS in Jersey. I ask a lot from my bike from riding Jersey sand whoops to the steep hills and rocks of PA and NY, two very different place to ride...which do you guys like

Are you racing or play riding? If both, which is more important to find the "right" bike for? I've owned both sizes (heck, both in the same chassis). Do you like to short shift or rev out? I prefer the 250 for racing and the 300 for play riding. When racing, I find the 250 to be a little easier to ride aggressively and keep on the pipe. For play riding, the extra bottom-mid of the 300 is fun. Makes hill climbs easier and it's more forgiving if you like to short shift or get caught a gear high.

Are you racing or play riding? If both, which is more important to find the "right" bike for? I've owned both sizes (heck, both in the same chassis). Do you like to short shift or rev out? I prefer the 250 for racing and the 300 for play riding. When racing, I find the 250 to be a little easier to ride aggressively and keep on the pipe. For play riding, the extra bottom-mid of the 300 is fun. Makes hill climbs easier and it's more forgiving if you like to short shift or get caught a gear high.

I agree. Unless I'm racing open desert, it's easier for me to be aggressive on a 250. But for a ''do it all'' bike, you can't beat a 300.

i mostly do HS in NJ i just got back into riding after 20 off i raced the senior C class i'm going to move up to B next year...i'm thinking 300 because of the rock runs in Pa & NY plus steep hills to clime...i'm not a lugger, on the cool sections i like to rev it, but we have some brutal enduros that just finish is an accomplishment

I'd have to agree with the way everyone describes the power delivery ect. But with both in the garage I think the 300 is easier to ride faster, just because its smother and more forgiving on the powerband if I make a bad gear choice or wth the rekluse just leave it in 3rd...:lol:. I might be a different kind of rider, I try to stay smooth not blow it up out of every corner in a harescramble.

I'd have to agree with the way everyone describes the power delivery ect. But with both in the garage I think the 300 is easier to ride faster, just because its smother and more forgiving on the powerband if I make a bad gear choice or wth the rekluse just leave it in 3rd...:bonk:. I might be a different kind of rider, I try to stay smooth not blow it up out of every corner in a harescramble.

Good point. You don't have to sound fast or throw roost everywhere to actually be going fast