Sign in to follow this  

DR650SE lowering the proper way

Hi,

Thinking of getting a 2011 DR650se. I had a KLR650 once, and it had tall seat height like the DR. I managed the tall seat ok on the street, but I got tired of it because I drive a lot of traffic light and tippy toeing all the time gets tiring. I never did ride it in the dirt because it felt too tall for me and too heavy. My dirt bike is XR200, which has a very low seat that I can flat foot with my MX boots and very light weight. Unfortunately, the XR200 is too slow for dual sport action. I'm thinking of getting another big bore dual sport, but I remember how I hated the height and weight of the KLR. So, I'm thinking about the DR650se. It's lighter than the KLR and it's got suspension that can be factory lowered by removing stuff from the inside of the suspension. My question is how does a factory lowered suspension perform on the trail compared to a full suspension? I weight 150#.

For the most part the same. Loose a little travel up front but action is the same but.....

Keep in mind it is still a heavy bike with only fair off-road suspension. Your light weight should help the suspension action.

The Dr's lowering option is kick :lol: though.

Bruce

i'm still confused as to why people need to lower a 'DR'??? i mean really its a midget of a thing compared to most dirt bikes. With the amount of preload I run my bike sits quite a bit higher (only about 1mm static sag in the rear), plus I have a corbin which is wider and puts my legs out further/shorter, and I still flat foot it easily at 6ft

What consist's of having it lowered by The Factory. Is this something a backyard mechanic can do?

i'm still confused as to why people need to lower a 'DR'??? i mean really its a midget of a thing compared to most dirt bikes. With the amount of preload I run my bike sits quite a bit higher (only about 1mm static sag in the rear), plus I have a corbin which is wider and puts my legs out further/shorter, and I still flat foot it easily at 6ft

Ummm.....Some people are not 6'????

What consist's of having it lowered by The Factory. Is this something a backyard mechanic can do?

Yes, you can do it at home with basic tools if you have some mechanical skills. The only possible issue is freeing the dampening rods so the forks come apart, some tricks help that.

No parts other than fork oil needed if bike is stock, the procedure is outlined in the shop manual (not the owners manual).

Bruce

Yes, you can do it at home with basic tools if you have some mechanical skills. The only possible issue is freeing the dampening rods so the forks come apart, some tricks help that.

No parts other than fork oil needed if bike is stock, the procedure is outlined in the shop manual (not the owners manual).

Bruce

Thanks, I'll pick up a shop manual. I bought a 05, and the wife really likes riding it. She's 5'4", so I'm thinking on lowering it and getting me another DR650.

While many dirt bikes are much taller than the DR, they are not trail bikes they are motocross. On a motocross track there isn't much need to stop and put your feet down. On many trails you have to slow down to a crawl and frequently find yourself at a standstill where it becomes necessary to plant at least one foot. The motocross bikes are also much, much lighter so that if you do lean it quite a bit to plant a foot, you can hold it up. You lean the DR and down she goes....HEAVY.

For some like me 5' 8" lowering the bike is a necessity for trail riding.

Flea