Sign in to follow this  

Bearings in the outer clutch cover

Hey everyone, long time no type here. My neighbor has a 96 XR400 and when he went to go for a ride and he pulled in the clutch he heard and felt a POP and his clutch does not work.

So I went over and pulled off the outer cover and found that the button on the end of the actuator had broken off! :) He was very lucky that it did not get into the engine.

Anyway while I had the cover in my hands I was moving the lever back and forth and the bearings are shot and so is the shaft. Our local Honda shop is saying that you cannot get the bearings and seals and shaft alone, that you have to get a new cover assembly. Is this correct?? Does not sound right to me.

Thanks guys! :lol:

Are they needle bearings? Seal OD is the same size as the clutch shaft on my 2000 CR500.

Thanks and your right, it does not show the 2 bearings. Just the shaft, seal and spring.

Are they needle bearings? Seal OD is the same size as the clutch shaft on my 2000 CR500.

Yes, 2 sets of caged needle bearings. I will have to try to get them out so I can measure them.

Thanks guys! :lol:

Well, my neighbor got a new case with bearings, new seal, new actuator arm, and new pushrod. He has it all together and everything is just fine. Weird that you have to buy the entire outer case to get new bearings, I am going to try to get the bearings out to see if we can get replacements, you never know!

Thanks for the advice guys!