Sign in to follow this  

Best pump gas

What is the best/ cleanest pump has to use? I was thinking blower by shell but I hear it has ethanol in it.. Which I'm trying to avoid..

I don't know what gas is like in your part of the country. In Texas, most gasoline has 10% to 15% ethanol. i try to stay away from anything more than 10%. I usually get gas at Shell, Texaco, or Chevron.

We have a distribution center in Atlanta. Trucks from different "brands" all fill up there. I read once that they each put 'additives' in at the station, never seen evidence of that (I used to work at one as a kid).

There are a handful of places out in the country where you can get ethanol-free gas. When I ride my street bikes in the mountains, I try to make a point to include one on my return trip so I can park it with less ethanol in the system..

..a

Shell V-Power here in MO doesn't have ethanol in it. Some of the Phillips 66 stations here have non ethanol 93 octane, which is what I've been using for a while now.

As for the additives in gas, they get mixed in at the distribution depot where the trucks fill up. There's one on my work commute, huge tanks of straight gasoline, several smaller tanks of various sizes of additives. From what I understand, if you can do a blanket order of at least 2000 gallons pr month, they'll mix it any way you want it, providing it doesn't cross a line in the laws.

whats wrong with ethanol has higher octane rating than gasoline.. just a lil bit less efficient meaning you need more fuel to make the power, but in the end, more power can be made with it..

I can understand wanting to avoid it in your car because it hurts youre MPG but its just not a major concern in a bike, and at 10% it doesnt do any real damage I leave gasoline in my bike all winter and it starts right up in the spring.. Been doing it ever since i been doin it.

The only way you will find gasoline without ethanol these days is to go to the airport and buy aviation fuel, or get race gas.. pump gas has ethanol..

I've heard that ethanol is bad for magnesium, and many older car carbs have magnesium in them. I do not know if its true or if mc carbs have magnesium. I've also heard that it is more likely to gum stuff up cause it leaves some sort of residue, I know some of the newer cars have been having issues with fuel delivery because of increased mixes of ethanol.

I've heard that ethanol is bad for magnesium, and many older car carbs have magnesium in them. I do not know if its true or if mc carbs have magnesium. I've also heard that it is more likely to gum stuff up cause it leaves some sort of residue, I know some of the newer cars have been having issues with fuel delivery because of increased mixes of ethanol.

I totally agree that you have "heard" all that stuff. I have heard it all to... after all its "what they say".

Is there some sort of truth to it? Maybe. If you want to convert a car over to ethanol, all you really need is a higher flow fuel pump and bigger injectors.

As far as gumming things up,, well race gas gums up wayyyy worse than gasoline with a 10% ethanol blend. I live in Pennsylvania and I park my bikes for the winter. Heres what i do to winterize them:

Wash them, spray em with WD-40, and shut the gas off. In the springtime, (or if i ever get a freakishly warm day during the winter) I will go out and kick them over and let them run for a few minutes. They never get gummed up, the gas never goes bad, etc etc. The only gas ive seen go bad over the winter is race gas.

Chevron Premium. Not because it is the most expensive :lol: but because of the additives. I personally have seen the positive effects of their additives on many V8 engines over the years and now on my bikes. The stuff works and it keeps my KDX KIPS sub-valves in great shape.

Its pretty much all the same. A lot of companies get their gas from the same provider.

I was told the same by a guy filling fuel from a tanker into a station years ago. I think the choices are cat pee vs cat pee

A lot of the gasolines without additives are the same. I do some testing on the truck racks at the bulk loading facilities... your gas from sunoco, sheets, bp, exxon, can easily be the same stuff.. Its all made in the same refinery..

There IS a difference in the stuff that has "additives", There really are additives in there, and stuff like chevron and shell v-power are loaded on a different rack. Same facility, same gasoline made at the same refinery, it just gets some additives to it.

I don't know whats the cleanest but I got some 93 from a BP station once and it was really green. Didn't affect my FI bike but my buddy had some carb issues shortly after (maybe coincidence) but he tore it apart to clean it and there was green buildup everywhere.

whats wrong with ethanol has higher octane rating than gasoline.. just a lil bit less efficient meaning you need more fuel to make the power, but in the end, more power can be made with it..

I can understand wanting to avoid it in your car because it hurts youre MPG but its just not a major concern in a bike, and at 10% it doesnt do any real damage I leave gasoline in my bike all winter and it starts right up in the spring.. Been doing it ever since i been doin it.

The only way you will find gasoline without ethanol these days is to go to the airport and buy aviation fuel, or get race gas.. pump gas has ethanol..

Ethanol just doesn't burn the same as gasoline no matter what they tell you.

As far as not finding ethanol free fuel in PA check out the link.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA

Ethanol just doesn't burn the same as gasoline no matter what they tell you.

As far as not finding ethanol free fuel in PA check out the link.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA

no ones telling me anything.. I have a very good grasp of how ethanol works and its effects on engines... Besides the fact that ethanol has about 30% less energy content, it doesnt do much different.

And just because the energy content is 30% less in ethanol, doesnt meant your motor will make less power with it, it just means it takes a little more fuel flow. If you are running 10-15% ethanol/gasoline mix, the difference is 3-5% difference in total energy content. That means when you put it in your car, you might lose a MPG but are we really counting MPGs in these bikes?

Ive seen 4-cylinder cars that were making 600whp on pump gas then switch over to E-85 (bigger injectors) then they were able to run more boost and make 750-800 whp. You can make power on E-85. Its just less efficient (lower energy content)

If you can find the stuff without ethanol, then by all means run it!!.. BUT Im certainly not going to go out of my way to do it.. Ive been running it for years and its never "gummed up" my bike, or worn out my carb because it doesnt like magnesium.

oh and thanks for the link... unfortunately none of those stations are anywhere near me. For it to be worth while, you would have to have a station right in your town to take advantage of the 3-5% efficiency advantage of pure gas.