Sign in to follow this  

Beta suspension help

I ride a 2007 Beta 525 RR that I bought used 2 years ago. I am interested in getting some suspension work done but not sure where to go (or send). I moved from Oregon down to Az and the trails are a lot rockier. The bike seems to bounce or deflect off the rocks instead of the suspension soaking them up. Front also bottoms out on hard hits and jumps. As far as i know the suspension has never been apart and fluid have never been replaced. I would like to start with fresh fluids and factory settings to get to a base line.

I am about 195lbs geared and ready to roll.

So my question: What should I plan on doing with my forks? Re valving etc? And who would you recommended to do suspension work?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for a poorly worded "noob" question. I am ignorant when it comes to suspension

Edited by RRyder

I would go to racetech.com / calculate the springs for your weight and order them and install them w/ new fluid. Then I would set all clickers back to factory. Then play w/ clickers one to two clicks at a time until it feels best. If not happy then a revalve might be in order.

Call Les at http://lt-racing.com/ He is a great guy with Marzocci's and is near Tacoma, Wa. Reasonable and has done a ton of setup on these forks and Sachs shocks. Has been in business for 20 years or so and knows his stuff. He did mine and they work great.

• Like 1

RRyder,

If you can reach him, Cliff at RPS Motosports (part time) does a great job specializing with Beta enduro suspensions. We resprung and revalved with a progressive shim stack on my 2008 Beta 450 and several others with a proven combination. Feels very fluid and controlled now. All vibration and sharpness or harshness when hitting hard bumps or coming off jumps is gone, completely. The bike feels much more controlled coming in/out of turns too. Seems more of an issue with the older Betas but once its done, you'll be happy. Can't say enough... really impressed. All of his suspension upgrade customers say the same thing "worth every penny". Good Luck.

Edited by decooney

I know a guy who knows a guy--- next to Rudy's Garage by the donair place:bonk:

RRyder,

If you can reach him, Cliff at RPS Motosports (part time) does a great job specializing with Beta enduro suspensions. We resprung and revalved with a progressive shim stack on my 2008 Beta 450 and several others with a proven combination. Feels very fluid and controlled now. All vibration and sharpness or harshness when hitting hard bumps or coming off jumps is gone, completely. The bike feels much more controlled coming in/out of turns too. Seems more of an issue with the older Betas but once its done, you'll be happy. Can't say enough... really impressed. All of his suspension upgrade customers say the same thing "worth every penny". Good Luck.

Oddly enough I bought the bike from him. Super cool guy, I didn't think of him for suspension though. Thanks for the advice.

I know a guy who knows a guy--- next to Rudy's Garage by the donair place:bonk:

I know that guy, well actually his brother! :lol:

Thank you everybody for your input and reply's, I appreciate the help.

I wonder, I was at the shop one day (more than a year ago+) and two guys from Oregon (I think) came down to buy a bike from Mark but I don't recall if it was a used or new bike. There were two bikes the guys out front were looking at. Maybe that was you...:lol: If you did buy it from them used, you might check with Cliff and see if he already did the progressive shim stack on it for the valving if it was one of their personal bikes or one of their previous customer bikes... if so, sometimes he puts their suspension stickers on the forks. If that were the case, he me might only have to change the springs/oil setup for you to make it right. Not only is he really good at suspension setup, he is a great rider - and that helps when telling him what you want to accomplish with your suspension, truly knows what to do; he went to some special school for suspensions and specializes in suspensions - FYI. Totally worth getting it set up right for you. Good luck.

And keep fresh fluids in the suspension. Good luck.

This is good advice. The 45mm Zokes have no coatings on the internal components. The aluminum cartridge therefore contaminates the oil rapidly. Change the fork oil often. It is easy to do since they are older style open bath cartridge forks. Use either 7.5wt or 5wt fork oil. I like Silkolene RSF. Keep an eye on the fork bushings to. Personally I hated the zokes for racing so I put a 2007 KX450F front end on my 400RR. I still run the zokes on my dual sport though.

The SACHS shock is pretty good. The steel body makes the oil last longer. If it is the stock oil in the shock have it serviced. New quality oil in the shock will make a difference too.

I do my own suspension stuff but have had friends send stuff to Dick's Racing in Roseville, CA.

This is good advice. The 45mm Zokes have no coatings on the internal components. The aluminum cartridge therefore contaminates the oil rapidly. Change the fork oil often. It is easy to do since they are older style open bath cartridge forks. Use either 7.5wt or 5wt fork oil. I like Silkolene RSF. Keep an eye on the fork bushings to. Personally I hated the zokes for racing so I put a 2007 KX450F front end on my 400RR. I still run the zokes on my dual sport though.

The SACHS shock is pretty good. The steel body makes the oil last longer. If it is the stock oil in the shock have it serviced. New quality oil in the shock will make a difference too.

I do my own suspension stuff but have had friends send stuff to Dick's Racing in Roseville, CA.

Exactly 100% correct. Finally somebody else is seeing the same thing. I've got a batch of ten gasgas damper rods going in for type three anodizing in Jan. My only concern is that they may be made out of pop can grade aluminum and the coating wont take properly.

Exactly 100% correct. Finally somebody else is seeing the same thing. I've got a batch of ten gasgas damper rods going in for type three anodizing in Jan. My only concern is that they may be made out of pop can grade aluminum and the coating wont take properly.

Or worse yet Chinese recycled pop can crap with soda mixed in. Let me know how the coating works out.

I wonder, I was at the shop one day (more than a year ago+) and two guys from Oregon (I think) came down to buy a bike from Mark but I don't recall if it was a used or new bike. There were two bikes the guys out front were looking at. Maybe that was you...:bonk: If you did buy it from them used, you might check with Cliff and see if he already did the progressive shim stack on it for the valving if it was one of their personal bikes or one of their previous customer bikes... if so, sometimes he puts their suspension stickers on the forks. If that were the case, he me might only have to change the springs/oil setup for you to make it right. Not only is he really good at suspension setup, he is a great rider - and that helps when telling him what you want to accomplish with your suspension, truly knows what to do; he went to some special school for suspensions and specializes in suspensions - FYI. Totally worth getting it set up right for you. Good luck.

Small world!!! It was probably me, the time frame sounds about right. I came down with my buddy Jeff to take a look at an 08 450RR and the 07 525RR. There was a small dent in the frame of the 08 and some noise in the top end. The 07 was much cleaner bike, i took her home. I was driving a Grey GMC dura max. Oh well, what a small world. Maybe we can meet again on the trails next time.

Kyle

Trial tricks in Frazier Park, Ca, did my 09.

They are more known for ktm work, but Javier did and excellent job on mine. I didn't realize just how good until all my riding buddies started getting on it and couldn't get over how smooth it is, and they have revalved bikes also. It has caused more than one to suddenly be unhappy with a bike they thought was real good. It's strongest suit is that it will absolutely eat up small to mid size rocks, roots, chop, etc. like no other bike I have been on yet. I just have the stage one rebuild where he utilizes your stock pistons. Think it cost 600 including new front springs. Good luck and have fun.