Sign in to follow this  

is it even worth it to get a small truck

looking to buy first truck and I mainly want mpg, realiabilty,and performance in that order. I have no idea what I want but ive been shopping around. I really like tacomas they are extremely realiable, and can hold there weight for there size but mpgs are 1-3 difference than a f150 with a 5.4 liter v8 that can do alot more. Unless you get a 4 cylnder with 2wd I really dont see any differnece in mileage between something like and ranger and tacoma then a f150 or tundra. I look at fueleconomy.gov and there numbers which seem good is that a 2003 f150 2wd 5.4 liter 14 city 18 highway same for 4.6 and 4wd 12 city 16 highway 03 tacoma 3.4 liter v6 2 wd manual 17/22 ( not bad I would consider it) but 4wd 15/18 not worth it if I can drop 1-2 mpgs for a 5.4 liter v8 that can haul and tow alot more. rangers are even worse v6 ranger is actually the same as a 1/2 ton. SO correct me if im wrong but it seems its only worth it if you get a small 4 cylnder 2wd manual ( a car with a bed) or a big 4wd/2wd 1/2 ton with the biggest v8 possible. Any trucks that are good on mpgs are realiable and can tow and haul good tell me coulda over looked something

You could go 3/4 ton and get a diesel and tow a lot and get decent mileage. Would you need 4wd? Suburbans of that vintage can get around 20 highway. What do you plan to do with your vehicle? If you want mpg get a car, there's no real way around it your going to have to compromise somehow.

I spent months looking for p/u's and there really is no difference in price or mpg right now. Tacomas are a different breed though...they cost billions of dollars compared to every other truck out there. I owned a 99 new and I know the value, but damn!

I spent months looking for p/u's and there really is no difference in price or mpg right now. Tacomas are a different breed though...they cost billions of dollars compared to every other truck out there. I owned a 99 new and I know the value, but damn!

Yeah I don't really understand that. Is it even worth it to buy a used tacoma when you can multiple rangers in similar condition for the same price. I mean they are nice trucks and all but still.

4WD Tacomas are $4000-$5000 over Kelly Blue Books numbers..

My Tacoma with the 3.4l gets like 16/21 mpg's

Look around and you can find them for a good price

Love the truck...not a single problem since I've had it

You could go 3/4 ton and get a diesel and tow a lot and get decent mileage. Would you need 4wd? Suburbans of that vintage can get around 20 highway. What do you plan to do with your vehicle? If you want mpg get a car, there's no real way around it your going to have to compromise somehow.

I know what your saying 4wd is not neccsary I dont really care but 3/4 ton is alot truck number 1 and number 2 diesels are damn expensive I cant really spent over 7-8 grand and last diesels are expensive for parts and common maintence. If I were using a truck for heavier duty purpose I would get a cummins but I really just need to tow bikes and do some scraping a little. Thanks for the input

I really dont need a 1/2 its alot truck for what I plan to do. I just wanna haul bikes to the sand pits pick up pallets and railroad ties, firewood just common shit like that. I want be then a 4 cylinder but I dont need a 5.4 liter v8 either. I want something in between while still remaining good on gas, I prefer manual transmission espically if it adds to mpg so what I like it the tacoma 2wd 3.4 liter in a pre runner extended cab I know they are expensive but when I go to sell it if I dont run the piss out of it it should be worth more. Any other suggestions?

Small trucks are cheaper on insurance & registration, and if you want 4wd, they're small enough to go more places offroad if you're into that. Also 3 mpg makes a difference. Thats an extra 60 miles per tank (assuming it holds 20 gallons & you get 20 mpg), and at $3.75/gallon its an extra $11 in your pocket each time you fill up (roughly and hypothetically).

Half tons are more practical for hauling bikes because they have a bigger bed (in most circumstances), plus they can tow quite a bit more (obviously). 4wd will really drag down the mpg's, and 3.73 or 4.10 gearing will drag down the mpg's more, but that improves the tow ratings. I get 12.5 around town & 14 highway in a stock 4wd nissan titan with their tow package gear ratio (roughly 4.10), and I have a light foot. I wouldnt reccomend going with a half ton unless you're planning on towing or hauling more weight than a small truck can handle.

3/4 ton diesels are overkill unless you have a big toy hauler or trailer that a half ton cant tow, or you just tow a trailer A LOT. Their mpg's are pretty much the same as a 1/2 ton unloaded. You only see the mpg benefit everyone talks about when you're towing. You're also paying more for fuel & a lot more for oil changes. They're also no longer the simple engine they once were. They're just as, if not more complex than a gas engine now with all the electronic controls, so they also cost more to have work done.

Then there is the safety factor where bigger is better.

GMC Canyon, good truck, i got one, crew cab 3.5L 5 cyl, good on gas and enough power to do whatever i need it to do.

Very affordable too.

98 Ford Explorer 4X4, 4.0 V6, trailer, 3 guys, gear for the day and 3 bikes..... 22mpg. 120K miles, no probs.

Just get the 5.0 same gas mileage and a much better engine. 97 limited with 200,000 miles still runs great. Your not getting 22mpg towing 3 bikes right? I think cars could do this but not a vehicle that will struggle getting this mileage as it sits.

I really dont need a 1/2 its alot truck for what I plan to do. I just wanna haul bikes to the sand pits pick up pallets and railroad ties, firewood just common shit like that. I want be then a 4 cylinder but I dont need a 5.4 liter v8 either. I want something in between while still remaining good on gas, I prefer manual transmission espically if it adds to mpg so what I like it the tacoma 2wd 3.4 liter in a pre runner extended cab I know they are expensive but when I go to sell it if I dont run the piss out of it it should be worth more. Any other suggestions?

Did you look into frontiers? They are nice looking trucks and get decentish gas mileage. I wasn't really saying you didn't need 4 wheel drive in the previous post, just if it was something you wanted.

What's your budget? I can't remember if it was mentioned in any of your other posts, but it's pretty important. Are you looking at $2,000 beaters or $20,000 trucks?

Small trucks are worth it if you go real small, 4 cylinder. I've owned two 4 banger S10's and two 4 banger Toyota's. The Toyotas were 4wd and both would get me 24-25 mpg if driven nice. My 98 S10 was 2wd and capable of nipping at 30 mpg, but typically got 28. WAYYYYY better than a full size.

Now, go with a 4wd, V6, extended cab "mini" truck, and yea, not really any better than a full size on gas.

Small trucks are cheaper on insurance & registration, and if you want 4wd, they're small enough to go more places offroad if you're into that. Also 3 mpg makes a difference. Thats an extra 60 miles per tank (assuming it holds 20 gallons & you get 20 mpg), and at $3.75/gallon its an extra $11 in your pocket each time you fill up (roughly and hypothetically).

Half tons are more practical for hauling bikes because they have a bigger bed (in most circumstances), plus they can tow quite a bit more (obviously). 4wd will really drag down the mpg's, and 3.73 or 4.10 gearing will drag down the mpg's more, but that improves the tow ratings. I get 12.5 around town & 14 highway in a stock 4wd nissan titan with their tow package gear ratio (roughly 4.10), and I have a light foot. I wouldnt reccomend going with a half ton unless you're planning on towing or hauling more weight than a small truck can handle.

3/4 ton diesels are overkill unless you have a big toy hauler or trailer that a half ton cant tow, or you just tow a trailer A LOT. Their mpg's are pretty much the same as a 1/2 ton unloaded. You only see the mpg benefit everyone talks about when you're towing. You're also paying more for fuel & a lot more for oil changes. They're also no longer the simple engine they once were. They're just as, if not more complex than a gas engine now with all the electronic controls, so they also cost more to have work done.

Then there is the safety factor where bigger is better.

I think the tacoma is a nice size truck and the pre runner extended cab is a nice looking truck 6ft bed probably 4 feet wide it can hold its own with 1/2 tons with the 3.4 liter v6 2wd in gets 17 city 22 highway for 2003 has a 3.91 gear ratio on the rear end can probably haul at least 1000 lbs and can tow 4000-5000 lbs only problem is finding one and one for a good price but who knows I might get lucky

What's your budget? I can't remember if it was mentioned in any of your other posts, but it's pretty important. Are you looking at $2,000 beaters or $20,000 trucks?

Small trucks are worth it if you go real small, 4 cylinder. I've owned two 4 banger S10's and two 4 banger Toyota's. The Toyotas were 4wd and both would get me 24-25 mpg if driven nice. My 98 S10 was 2wd and capable of nipping at 30 mpg, but typically got 28. WAYYYYY better than a full size.

Now, go with a 4wd, V6, extended cab "mini" truck, and yea, not really any better than a full size on gas.

my budget 7-8 grand can go as high as 10 grand but only if needed 4 cylinder dont really attract me its not the engine its the truck their in it just looks to shitty. If you can really get 24-25 with the 4wd 4 banger tacoma I would hop on that but according to fueleconomy.gov its around 16-20 with the manual but hey internet isnt always right. But I think im going to go with tacoma 6spd manual 3.4 liter 2wd prerunner seems like the most bang for your mpgs

Did you look into frontiers? They are nice looking trucks and get decentish gas mileage. I wasn't really saying you didn't need 4 wheel drive in the previous post, just if it was something you wanted.

have looked at frontiers but I think the tacomas are just a better truck ( my opinion could be wrong) and with similar mpgs I would pick the durable truck that you can put lots of miles on

Isn't this your third thread about this? Just pick a truck and go with it!:lol: No, but really, if you want a Tocoma, get one.:)

Isn't this your third thread about this? Just pick a truck and go with it!:lol: No, but really, if you want a Tocoma, get one.:)

ya sorry if Im spamming this is my last one for sure just trying to figure this stuff out I wasnt really sure if I should get the small v8 with the manual cause the big v8 gets the same mpgs, my mom doesnt like the idea of two vechiles a car and a truck cause of insurance and the 4bt swap is a lost cause sorry again if I was spamming no harm intended

My dad has a 2006 Taco extended cab 4x4 4-cylinder 5-speed that he gets 20-22 in town and 22-24 on the hwy...the older 4x4 tacos had the same motor but were a smaller overall package so they should get at least that for mpg's...they are great pickups and I would only buy a Taco with a 4-cylinder...for me the V-6 fuel economy pushes me into a half ton...and that where I am at...trying to find a CC half ton...good luck...I have been waffling about what vehicle to get next for a couple of years now but I am pretty sure I know what I am looking for now............I think........:lol:

-mt-