Sign in to follow this  

Honda Engine ID number

Hello, my friends. My name is Tim and I'm new to ThumperTalk.

I have a couple of issues that I hope someone can help me with.

I got a 1975 Honda XL250 for $100 from a guy who was cleaning out his garage. After taking the engine apart, I discovered that it's not the original engine (1972-73 XL250) and it has been modified for racing. The cylinder has been bored out. I don't remember the actual Dia of the bore, but it's bigger than a XL350. It has an oversize cam and a stroker crank. The cylinder and piston are in very good shape. The problem is, one of the rings are broken and the guy at the Honda shop said I'll probably have a hard time finding a set of rings. So, I figured It might me easier to make it back to original again, but I'll keep the other stuff in case I find the parts.

The other problem is: I found a complete bottom end with the cylinder on ebay for a good price. Probably the only parts I need from it are the cylinder, crank and rod, shifter shaft, kick lever and shaft and a couple outer of gears. The issue is with the engine number. I can tell by looking that it isn't a 1972-73 XL250. According to the research I've done, I think it's either a 1975 TL250 or a 1976 XL250. Either way, I don't think any of the parts will interchange with my 1972-73 engine.

Could anyone tell me for sure what this engine is? : L250E-1000604

And if any of the parts will interchange with SL250E-1048928 engine?

Thank you,

Tim

TT Newbie,

I have a 1976 Honda TL250 that has a busted petcock assembly. The Honda petcock assembly part number is 16950-376-015. I am told that this petcock fits the TL and XL 250 bikes. Do you happen to have one that would be for sale? If anyone else knows where I can get one of these, I would appreciate a reply. I have looked all over and cannot find one.

Any help is appreciated.

HondaTrials

Honda Trials,

Have you looked on ebay for your TL250 petcock? There are several petcocks for XL250s, new and used. I'm going to need one too, after I get the engine running.

Would you mind telling me if you engine ID starts with L250E or TL250E?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I did look on ebay but I did not see the petcock assemblies. I will need to improve my ebay skills. I do not have access to the engine ID at the moment. I will update when I am able to get the number.

I did manage to network to a vintage shop in Ohio and put the part on order. I should receive it in a couple of weeks.

James

James, here's a link to some petcocks for Honda XL250s I found on ebay. Do any of these look like they would fit your bike? http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m570.l1313&_nkw=Honda+XL250+petcock&_sacat=

If not, sorry I couldn't help.

Do you need any engine parts? I might have some to sell. I have a bottom end that might be a 1975-76 TL250.