Sign in to follow this  

Left-Handed Throttle

I have a friend with a prosthetic right arm. I'm trying to convert his throttle to the left side. He just got an '06 Honda CRF450X so I moved the throttle over to the left. But after me giving it a test run and having to roll the throttle forward to accelerate, "whiskey throttle" almost got the best of me.

Anybody have any recommendations?

I have a friend with a prosthetic right arm. I'm trying to convert his throttle to the left side. He just got an '06 Honda CRF450X so I moved the throttle over to the left. But after me giving it a test run and having to roll the throttle forward to accelerate, "whiskey throttle" almost got the best of me.

email a thorttle company and maybe you could get a custom one?:lol:

Just reverse the cables. The amount of travel will be the same.

I tried reversing the cables but Honda (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make the slack adjuster screws different diameters.

since he is probably going to need to hang on with the throttle hand more than the usual rider, it would make sense to use a thumb or finger throttle..

since he is probably going to need to hang on with the throttle hand more than the usual rider, it would make sense to use a thumb or finger throttle..

Thanks. You may be right. I'll see if he want to go that route.

Harold Glissen used to race Pro MX with only one hand. He had his right, so it's not exactly the same, but he is a great guy and would probably love to help you out with tips/ideas/suggestions. His contact info is on his website. Inspiring story for everyone if you haven't heard of him.

http://www.onlyoneinspiration.com/

I remember stumbling into this video (below), this guy is using the standard throttle which is reversed as you mentioned. I thought the prostetic coupling they developed is very intersting. Not the answer you were looking for I know, but a possible resource

mert lawwill concepts

http://www.mertshands.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=114

I know that during one of the wars that a cycle company, Indian I think, made a left handed throttle for the motorcycles. You migh be able to do some research on that. I am pretty sure it was a design that would allow the rider to use his right hand for firing his pistol while riding. But that was probably a single cable and it looks like you need the double cable modern 4 stroke version.

I tried reversing the cables but Honda (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make the slack adjuster screws different diameters.

Look into custom cables, or even have the stockers modded.