Sign in to follow this  

Making the tank look new again...

My tank is looking a bit rough on my YZ450F and I'd like to make it look new again. Any suggestions on how to go about this? (besides buying a new one)

is it rough as in scratched?

if so, try lightly sanding it, and then wipe it off with a dish srubbing pad.

also works well on plastic.

It's got some very light scratches here and there, but mostly just dull.

I always wipe down w/ baby oil. Also help shed mud when cleaning

meguiars back to black. you can get it at your local auto parts store. Armorall and other similar protectants will work too, but they need re-applied every time you wash the bike. Back to black will work for a while longer, (but not forever!).

I use silicone spray on all the plastics and back to black on the tank and other black parts.

It really depends on how gouged the tank is.

If you've got heavy gouges you can forget about getting rid of them. You can't get rid of heavy gouges without making the tank thin, which would probably be dangerous.

I would suggest getting some sandpaper (fine grit, 500, 1000, and 1500). Wet sand the tank, then followup with rubbing compound and finally a polish/wax. You'll have it shining better than new. Google wet sanding if you don't know what that is.

This same technique will work on paint, plastics, and even polishing metals.

armour all/oils/waxes etc are just band aids. Yes they will make your bike look better, but only until the sheen wears off, which will be after one ride.

It really depends on how gouged the tank is.

If you've got heavy gouges you can forget about getting rid of them. You can't get rid of heavy gouges without making the tank thin, which would probably be dangerous.

I would suggest getting some sandpaper (fine grit, 500, 1000, and 1500). Wet sand the tank, then followup with rubbing compound and finally a polish/wax. You'll have it shining better than new. Google wet sanding if you don't know what that is.

This same technique will work on paint, plastics, and even polishing metals.

armour all/oils/waxes etc are just band aids. Yes they will make your bike look better, but only until the sheen wears off, which will be after one ride.

I agree.

armor all will keep it looking fresh when it's sitting in the garage. but it gives the plastic a slippery feeling when you're trying to squeeze the tank when riding. the slipperyness (that's a word right?) and shine will go away in about 5 minutes at the track