Sign in to follow this  

xr100

Heres my story I was given a non running 86 xr100,bad points.I bought a cdi kit on ebay got it running without a key way but it looked lined up.It idles great but anything more than 1/2 throttle it backfires and dies.I took the carb apart ,it was clean but I blew it out anyway.I checked the compression and it had 120 with throttle closed.That doesnt seem great but not low enough for these problems.Oh and I changed the gas got rid of any water.Any ideas would be appriciated.

Thanks Ben

Use the old key, then center it and tap it on so it doesn't move when you impact it. The flywheel could be slipping.

Use the old key, then center it and tap it on so it doesn't move when you impact it. The flywheel could be slipping.

If you do not have a key in the keyway, stop messing with it and get the right key and install it. After that, if the problem persists and the carb really has been cleaned (including ALL passageways), then maybe you can try a larger main jet. I bought a carb for my son's XR80, and it did exactly what you are describing. I looked at the main jet, and the fuel passage was way smaller than the main jet on the old carb. I switched the jets out and it has run like a champ since.