Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder sleeve replacement

I have an 02 XR250 that a PO did a number on the cylinder. It looks like they ran too long of bolts in it, and broke through the casting in two places. The bore, and the bike, are like new. If I can find a replacement cylinder, easy to do on Epay, what does it take to remove and replace the sleeve? On the old Honda 305s that I work on a lot, we put them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes, and the liners slide right out. Tried it with the XR cylinder, and I don't luck!

Thanks in advance, Davo

That works for me. Did you have a setscrew you haven't pulled? 250s usually have one at the top holding the sleeve in.

Thanks for the reply! There is something on the top of the cylinder, looked like a roll pin to me. Better look again with glasses and a magnifying glass! Is it an allen key type set screw?

Thanks, Davo

If you are going to get a replacement cylinder anyway, why not just bolt that one up instead of removal and replacement of sleeve??

VR, just got home, and you hit the nail on the head! Allen type set screw. Now to sneak it in the oven before the wife gets home :-).

Damone,

Most, if not all, of the cylinders I've seen for sale are in need of boring. The one I have is fresh as a daisy. This bike is really close to showroom clean, almost no hours. The sleeve in my cylinder is perfect, and matches up nicely with the new Wiseco piston kit I ordered!

Davo

VR, just got home, and you hit the nail on the head! Allen type set screw. Now to sneak it in the oven before the wife gets home :-).

Damone,

Most, if not all, of the cylinders I've seen for sale are in need of boring. The one I have is fresh as a daisy. This bike is really close to showroom clean, almost no hours. The sleeve in my cylinder is perfect, and matches up nicely with the new Wiseco piston kit I ordered!

Davo

Sounds like you know what your doing.

I just wanted to make sure your not making it harder than it needs to be.

Happy wrenching.