Sign in to follow this  

Contour Roam vs 1080p vs GopPro 960 vs 1080p

Ok guys, I know there's quite a bit of info out there on helmet cams, but there's a bigger selection now, and I'm still torn on which to get. Here's what I'm looking for (but not a necessity):

-$200 or less

-Good mounts for dirt biking, skiing (downhill & water), skydiving, and drag racing

-Waterproof would be nice

-Good sound and resolution

-I will mostly be using 720p

Here's what I've found...

Contour 1080p:

-$150

-Resolution is good, but maybe not as good and gopro hd??

-Sound is okay

-Not waterproof

-Easy to use

-1080p & 60fps (720)

Contour Roam:

-$200

-Waterproof

-170 wide angle lens

-Resolution not quite as good as gopro?

-Better battery life

-No 60fps

GoPro 960p:

-$150

-No 1080p or 60fps

-Waterproof

GoPro 1080p:

-$200

-1080p and 60fps (720)

-Good video and audio quality

-Not as sleek of design

-More mounts

Anyone have suggestions, or am I just thinking too hard? I've kinda' been leaning towards the contour 1080 because it's $150, but I think I might regret the no water-proof and better/more mounts.......:lol:

Edited by mx4god

personally I would buy the gopro 960 if you think you would only record in 720p, which most people do for faster editing and smaller files.

there is not much difference between video quality of the gopro and contour, just different standard light settings which you can change anyway.

if you are sure you would use full 1080, then go for either the roam or gopro 1080, though the gopro would have more features, such as removable battery. video quality would be about the same, but the roam comes with nice software that lets you chop parts out of the video it records without having to re encode the whole video and lose quality in the editing process.

the contour 1080 is about the same but with less of a viewing angle, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preference, you can also buy the waterproof case for it.

seems like there are more mounting options for the gopro.. the only place i ever see the contours mounted is to the side of helmets. seems like it would hit too many branches for woods/trail riding. i mount mine to the chin of my helmet and that wouldnt be an option if i had a contour.

Yeah, that and the waterproof out of the box is why I would want the gopro. I could always upgrade to the 1080 with 60fps later if I really want to. What's the difference between the the gopro motorsports and helmet package? Because I want to be able to mount it on my dirt bike, skiing, mountain bike helmet, and possibly my car. Can I do that with the 960?

I've seen the GoPo 1080 kit for $150 in a couple places - keep lookin.

And Gopro all the way. Much more versatile, more mounts, more accessories (LCD screen, wifi backpack, etc) waterproof up to 200ft or so..

It was a no brainer for me :lol:

Get both..lol

One isn't going to do it, you will want more than one for different shots. *If you want to create some cool videos.

Along with that, if you are going to make short films, you will want to record your audio tracks separately with say, a Zoom h1?

Then possibly a external wireless mic?

As far as quality goes with cameras, the Contour and the GoPro are both good. You are more than likely going to want to do some post processing production before you post the videos up. *example: Color Editing..

He is a comparison:

I have a GoPro HD and haven't decided myself which one I am going with next, as I want two more. I am looking more towards the Contours for the image quality. I can see more detail in the Contour than the GoPro. The GoPro has a higher contrast with its raw footage, which is achievable on the Contour in post production. I just want to make sure my investment is protected, which is why I favor the GoPro more (Plastic Case).

Post Processing Effect/Cinematic Look:

Good luck deciding..

You can find some good sales on the old HERO now that the HERO2 is out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VA56I8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d12_g421_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1PE4C2J38PE72A3PJZKY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

That's under your $200 mark... just.

I wasn't too fond of the GoPro's form factor at fiorst either but it does allow of some better mounting positions sometimes. I just wish they would make cases with the mounting hinge on the side or back.

The separate case was a + for me. Not only is it waterproof (if you want a contour to be waterproof you need to buy the case for it) but if you take a tumble and scratch the case or lens up you're just out another cheap case, not a whole camera!

Yeah, I saw that on Amazon. From what I'm hearing, it's going to be worth the extra 50 bucks. I'm not using it shoot professional videos (maybe in a few years when I have more time), I just want something with good quality and that is versatile.